Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair VX450W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Corsair VX450W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/540

Here is a snippet:
"Corsair is a traditional memory manufacturer they gained a lot of respect in the industry with their power supplies we reviewed HX620W and TX750W and they are terrific products. But how the entry-le..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Bill Tayson

Join Date Apr 2008
Bill Tayson is on a distinguished road

Default Wonderfull !!

Dear Gabriel Torres.
I Chosen for Corsair 550VX.
It's very good.
Yeah.

Test is wonderful
Congratulations.
Bill Tayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
dingusfungus

Join Date Oct 2008
dingusfungus is on a distinguished road

can it feed a single high end video card?? like 4850?, 4870 or even 9800 gtx+??

or should i consider buying a higher watts??
dingusfungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hello,

You should see what the video card manufacturer recommends.

nVidia sets 450 W minimum for GeForce 9800 GTX+, so yes.
AMD sets 450 W minimum for Radeon HD 4850, so yes.
AMD sets 500 W minimum for Radeon HD 4870, so this is a maybe, but probably you should choose a different product just to be sure.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
Doh

Join Date Sep 2012
Doh is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair VX450 v Antec EA500

Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for an excellent review. It's almost enough to make me go out & buy one straight away !

Now my understanding of PSUs is a little patchy to overstate it. I attach some weight to the label on the side of the PSU where the specs are given because this label often contains info not on the suppliers website (e.g. the combined power available from the 3.3 and 5V rails, important to me because I have an old system, and because if its a picture of THE psu there can be no doubt as to what you are getting).

To get to the point, the ratngs on the 3.3V and 5V rails on this unit (Corsair 450VX) and on the almost identical Antec Earthwatts 500 are 20A and 24A respectively (please correct me if I am wrong). I'd like to know why the suppliers have quoted such different numbers for units that are so similar ? [also, why 450W and 500W]. Is it just suppliers displaying different degrees of conversatism when it comes to ratings ?

Keep up the good work !

Doh
9.September.2012
Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

The Antec has more current on all of the rails - 24A, 24A, and 34A on the 3.3, 5 and 12V rails respectively. The VX450W has 20A, 20A and 33A. The VX450 is internally very similar, but is just under-rated slightly. btw, both the EA-500 and VX450W are discontinued now AFAIK.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Doh

Join Date Sep 2012

Thank you for pointing out that both these PSUs are discontinued. They are both in some sense still available to purchase though at least in the UK.

The PSUs are "internally identical except for input capacitors" so I do not see how the actual ratings could be different, I was asking whether I had to realise something, or just that Antec and Corsair had chosen to tell us different things.

Further, have Antec done something physically different to get 2 x 12V rails or have they just split the 12V output in the box and called it two 12V rails ? As the PSUs are internally identical the Antec one cannot have two sets of 12V output hardware. Is the voltage overprotection (which I assume this at the root of) done in software ?

Doh
9.September.2012
Old 09-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doh View Post
Thank you for pointing out that both these PSUs are discontinued. They are both in some sense still available to purchase though at least in the UK.
That's cool. The VX450 especially is an excellent PSU. I do have an EA-500 sitting here somewhere, but IIRC it failed due to bad caps (which the corsair won't)

Quote:
The PSUs are "internally identical except for input capacitors" so I do not see how the actual ratings could be different, I was asking whether I had to realise something, or just that Antec and Corsair had chosen to tell us different things.
It's really a 500W Seasonic, but Corsair chose to de-rate it while antec didn't.

Quote:
Further, have Antec done something physically different to get 2 x 12V rails or have they just split the 12V output in the box and called it two 12V rails ? As the PSUs are internally identical the Antec one cannot have two sets of 12V output hardware. Is the voltage overprotection (which I assume this at the root of) done in software ?
This is the only internal difference between the two. having multiple rails does require a few physical differences in the PCB - two groups of 12V wires, and two OCP shunts (or current sensors).

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:18 AM   #9
Doh

Join Date Sep 2012

Thank you for your answers, they make things a bit clearer.

But what does IIRC mean ? I assume that it's something to do with the "inferior" capacitors in the input filter stage of the Antec....

Could you explain precisely what is meant by the term "underrated" - does it mean that the PSU is capable of more than it is labelled as ?

Doh!
12.October.2012
Compaq Presario S5160UK etc.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote