Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Consumer Electronics

Old 05-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
proudkiwi

Join Date Oct 2007
proudkiwi is on a distinguished road

Default LCD or PLASMA???

I have read HW Secrets article on TV Technologies but i still cant make my mind up....

I want to buy a Flatscreen TV that can let me watch Sky Movies HD/ Sports HD / Blu ray Movies at their max quality.

LCD has weaknesses:
-Ghosting Effect in high response time displays
-Defective Pixels
-Poor Black level

Plasma has weaknesses:
-Burn-in
-high power consumption
-very hot!!!
-more expensive than LCD at same screen resolution

let me bring up my scenario -
42inch LCD - 1920x1080
42inch Plasma - 1366x768

both same price. i want one with best image quality and can last for atleast 5-6 years. plasma has more vivid colours and a better viewing angle, but LCD has higher resolution so what would look better overall (especially considering LCD has a bad black level)?

also in regards to defective pixel.. after how long would that happen?

thanks

Last edited by proudkiwi; 05-01-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: minor errors
proudkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
ouchast

Join Date May 2008
Europe
ouchast is on a distinguished road

Hi, if image quality is the most important factor, then I think plasma is what you should go for. I'm not sure though, so don't take my word for it
ouchast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
reidy-

Join Date Dec 2006
reidy- is on a distinguished road

are you sure that LCD is 1920*1080 they ofter have much lower native resolutions?

oh and get a samsung 40" LCD very nice screens
reidy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
cs0khunter82

Join Date Nov 2008
3rd planet from the sun
cs0khunter82 is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have recommendations for a wide screen TV (LCD or PLasma)? I want to buy one for my dad. He's overwhelmed with all the choices. I don't watch much TV and don't have time to filter through the info.
cs0khunter82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
emmy

Join Date Jan 2011
emmy is on a distinguished road

Honestly both are pretty good. I have both a samsung plasma and a samsung LCD. i honestly think that the plasma is better. I love them both though. Id also agree that the plasmas do use more electricity and are alot heavier... My only recommendation would be to get a good brand, i obviously liked sumsung. but sony always makes good products. dont get westinghouse or any of that vizio ****!!!!! You get what you pay for...
emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
klinc

Join Date Dec 2010
klinc is on a distinguished road

LCD VS PLASMA

CONTRAST RATIOS
PLASMA

COLOR ACCURACY
Plasma
(but depends upon room light, manufacturer and model. Plasma TV color richness and naturalness will prevail in rooms with lower to normal lighting. LCD TVs perform better in very brightly lit rooms due to their inherent anti glare technology and brightness.}

VIEWING ANGLES
Plasma

COMPUTER USE
LCD

(the performance should be about the same in terms of displaying the video image provided that the resolution of the plasma or LCD TV is 1080p or higher. Some plasma TVs still have 720p resolution and this would be a drawback to a defined static image.
Burn in is the second factor. Though plasmaTVs have substantial anti-burn in technology built in these days, there is still some risk there.)

FAST MOVING PLAYBACK THROUGH VIDEO
Plasma

HIGH ALTITUDE - 6500FT or higher
LCD

LONGEVITY
Plasma - LCD
(manufacturers of both plasma and LCD state up to 100,000 hours now. At 4 hours per day that's 68 years of use. Where do they get these specs??!?? lol)

SCREEN BURN IN
LCD

SIZE=COST
Plasma

POWER CONSUMPTION
LCD

Price=VALUE
PLASMA if your looking into big tv sizes.

So there you go. Which ones suits you in what you intend to use it for.
I7-2600k @4.8Ghz | ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME 3-Way SLI | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1867mhz CL8 10-9-24 1T 1.600V | 3x Zotac Gtx580 SLI | OCZ Vertex 2 SF 180gb | 2x Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1Tb Raid-0 | CORSAIR AX1200 | Thermalright Silver Arrow | Antec 1200 |
3DMARK11
klinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
shovenose

Join Date Nov 2010
san rafael, calif, usa
shovenose is on a distinguished road

I would suggest LCD, simply due to longevity concerns with plasma TVs. but both are good!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
DeViLzzz

Join Date Mar 2012
DeViLzzz is on a distinguished road

Default try harder

Try harder and find a plasma tv that supports 3D and 1080p .... well worth it ... and yes I have used my pc on the set I have from Samsung and it has been a good experience

In terms of burn in well just run the anti-burn in programs and you will see they work. For the first 200 hours there is greater risk of burn in and I can confirm that this is true based on experience with the tv I have. Still even after those initial 200 hours of use I run my anti-burn in programs once in awhile but really I have seen little to no burn in as of late.
DeViLzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
JohnGeek

Join Date Sep 2010
JohnGeek is on a distinguished road

Both technologies have advantages and disadvantages. You can find much about them in Internet.

In general, if you do not find fault with the picture clarity and naturalness of color, LCD optimally relates the price / quality ratio.
JohnGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread