Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Seeking The Best Performance per Watt for Folding@Home

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Seeking The Best Performance per Watt for Folding@Home
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/640

Here is a snippet:
"We got so excited in participating in the Folding@Home project that we built as many high performance systems we could running both the SMP and GPU clients. We were very happy with the results until w..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Interesting article!

A few comments and questions though:

You recommend the use of a wattmeter. Always nice if you have one, but they're considerably more expensive than a vanilla multimeter that will do the job good enough.
Power (P) = voltage (U) * current (I)
The voltage is as good as constant, so it's sufficient to measure that once, before plugging in the computer, and then track the current while the computer is running.
Multiply the current with the voltage and you get the power. (Actually, you get the apparent power, a combination of effective and reactive power, which is marginally larger than the effective power which is what you have to pay for, but that doesn't really matter.)

The second test range, where you just switch graphics cards, what folding client was used? GPU alone or both GPU and SMP? Tried both varieties to find the best?
(With a low end G-card and fairly fast CPU running both clients might be better than any one alone.)

When you ran both clients on a dual core CPU with one G-card it seems strange that the clients didn't use one core each, while the SMP client did use the fourth core in system 5.
And what about system 4, did the SMP client use a third core there leaving one core idle or did it use both the spare cores?

If building a computer with the sole purpose of running the Folding GPU client, then perhaps one consideration should be to use a single core CPU? (But then again, new CPUs that invariably are multi-core might be more energy efficient than older single core CPUs. Are they?)

Suggestions for further tests, if desired:
How does variations in CPU effect the performance of the GPU client for a specific G-card? (Changing the CPU clock speed should suffice for this test.)
I guess the GPU client actually use the CPU for part of the calculations, then with a faster CPU core the calculations should speed up as well.

What's the "Performance per Watt" when running Folding on a computer while using it for regular work?
The average performance is less, since the CPU and GPU is often busy doing higher priority tasks. At the same time the average power consumption should only be slightly higher than when the Folding clients are off.
Perhaps you get the best performance per watt by keeping the computer off while you're not busy using it (at the cost of a considerable drop in actual "folding" process being performed)...

Cheers
Olle

Last edited by Olle P; 10-30-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Xajel

Join Date Oct 2008
Xajel is on a distinguished road

You might find this intersting

about HD 4xxx Folding performance

Quote:
Folding client not use all shaders it use amount of shaders 3xxx series new supported client on its way but when i dont know maybe mhouston know they got all shaders working on 4xxx series but it unstable ATI.AMD choose Stability in first place.
http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6165
Xajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #4
SirkoZ

Join Date Sep 2008
SirkoZ is on a distinguished road

I'm sure that HD4670 would be a great Folding card, it's got computing power higher and consumption lower than a GFFX 8800GT.
However - the client might not be optimised for it yet...
SirkoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Interesting article!

A few comments and questions though:

You recommend the use of a wattmeter. Always nice if you have one, but they're considerably more expensive than a vanilla multimeter that will do the job good enough.
Power (P) = voltage (U) * current (I)
The voltage is as good as constant, so it's sufficient to measure that once, before plugging in the computer, and then track the current while the computer is running.
Multiply the current with the voltage and you get the power. (Actually, you get the apparent power, a combination of effective and reactive power, which is marginally larger than the effective power which is what you have to pay for, but that doesn't really matter.)
Vanilla multimeters can't read AC current, only DC current. You would need a clamp multimeter connected to the main AC cable:
http://www.multimeterwarehouse.com/266f.htm

Then by measuring the AC voltage (e.g. 115 V) you can get the wattage as you described.

So you would need to buy another tool anyway.

I will reply to your other questions later, because I am quite busy right now.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
Vanilla multimeters can't read AC current, only DC current.
I beg to differ. Cheap multimeters might not be able to measure AC current, but every single one of the mid range (~$100) meters I was able to find in a quick survey around my work place had the ability to measure at least up to 10A AC through them.
- FLUKE models 23, 85 and 87
- SOAR 4050
- Mastech MY-64
(A quick survey at the standard electronics retailer I use also proved the point; all multimeters >400SEK are able to measure AC.)

You don't need a clamp either. Just a way to attach one lead from the mains cable to (through) the multimeter.

I've attached an image of my test cable.
A standard power cable with the outer shield split open a bit in the middle and one of the leads cut off. Then I attached a safety "banana" pin to each end of the cut lead, and taped up the other leads.
For testing I just plug the banana pins into the multimeters corresponding receptacles.

Cheers
Olle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Testkabel.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	98  
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
I beg to differ. Cheap multimeters might not be able to measure AC current, but every single one of the mid range (~$100) meters I was able to find in a quick survey around my work place had the ability to measure at least up to 10A AC through them.
- FLUKE models 23, 85 and 87
- SOAR 4050
- Mastech MY-64
(A quick survey at the standard electronics retailer I use also proved the point; all multimeters >400SEK are able to measure AC.)
In your original message your clearly said VANILLA MULTIMETER. A USD 100 tool isn't a vanilla multimeter. A Fluke isn't a vanilla multimeter.

You message is right. However using this kind of multimeter you need to install it in series with the AC power cord, which requires a certain dose of knowledge. With a digital wattmeter you don't need to do that -- and it is way cheaper than a Fluke -- and that is why we recommend it over a expensive multimeter.

Cheers,
Gabriel Torres
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
The second test range, where you just switch graphics cards, what folding client was used? GPU alone or both GPU and SMP? Tried both varieties to find the best?
(With a low end G-card and fairly fast CPU running both clients might be better than any one alone.)
It is explained on the tables. "SMP" = SMP client only, "GPU" = GPU client only, "GPU + SMP" = both clients.

Quote:
When you ran both clients on a dual core CPU with one G-card it seems strange that the clients didn't use one core each, while the SMP client did use the fourth core in system 5.
When I ran both clients on a dual-core CPU the load was at 100% and they were using both cores. Please clarify where you read otherwise.

Maybe you got confused somehow. When you run the SMP client all CPU cores are used and put at 100% load.

Quote:
And what about system 4, did the SMP client use a third core there leaving one core idle or did it use both the spare cores?
Same as above. Running SMP client makes all cores to be used.

Quote:
If building a computer with the sole purpose of running the Folding GPU client, then perhaps one consideration should be to use a single core CPU? (But then again, new CPUs that invariably are multi-core might be more energy efficient than older single core CPUs. Are they?)
Yes, if you are going to use only one video card and run only the GPU client. Notice that I downgraded the Phenom 9700 to an Athlon X2 4600+ because of that to save some watts. I couldn't use a single-core CPU because at this moment I don't have any single-core CPU available.

Quote:
Suggestions for further tests, if desired:
How does variations in CPU effect the performance of the GPU client for a specific G-card? (Changing the CPU clock speed should suffice for this test.)
I guess the GPU client actually use the CPU for part of the calculations, then with a faster CPU core the calculations should speed up as well.

What's the "Performance per Watt" when running Folding on a computer while using it for regular work?
The average performance is less, since the CPU and GPU is often busy doing higher priority tasks. At the same time the average power consumption should only be slightly higher than when the Folding clients are off.
Perhaps you get the best performance per watt by keeping the computer off while you're not busy using it (at the cost of a considerable drop in actual "folding" process being performed)...
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep in mind that when you run the advanced configurations you can set the "idle level" (i.e. when to run the client) and "CPU load" (i.e. how much CPU load the client will use).

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajel View Post
You might find this intersting

about HD 4xxx Folding performance

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=6165
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirkoZ View Post
I'm sure that HD4670 would be a great Folding card, it's got computing power higher and consumption lower than a GFFX 8800GT.
However - the client might not be optimised for it yet...
According to our tests, all ATI cards consume a lot of power and do not provide a high score compared to nVidia. We cannot talk about the future, we can only talk about the situation right now.

If you want to run a high-end Folding client, forget ATI. Go with nVidia.

Gabriel.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread