Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default EVGA Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: EVGA Killer Xeno Pro Gaming Network Card Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/777

Here is a snippet:
"Who hasn't screamed at the monitor when a faltering internet connection disrupted an otherwise good online match? No matter how powerful and gaming-oriented a PC is, sometimes lag is inevitable. To tr..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

As I see it, the main feature, that makes this card different from other network cards (and I might be wrong), is the direct feed of data between the network and the application.
AFAIK other network cards also take some load off the CPU, but I'm unsure if they also bypass most of the OS.

This feature is very welcome if you really must transmit and receive data at the highest possible rate while the CPU is running other tasks, which of course is when your computer is the game server!

(For a more descriptive review it would be nice to see a comparison to a regular, cheap, network card as well, combined with the test computer acting as server instead of client.)

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi Olle

For this review we faced a dilemma, I wanted to test this network card more deeply, however our reviewer pointed out something that made sense to me, that this card is being targeted to gamers and lab results wouldn't represent the practical results gamers would experience while playing. Thus we decided to go with the format presented.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 AM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
... lab results wouldn't represent the practical results gamers would experience while playing.
I agree with that!
Practical results would however be the consequence of testing this card (and other network options) in a gaming rig while that computer was hosting some network game, with one player at the computer and a dozen or so co-players participating from places spread globally.

I have a couple of games that can easily be set-up in that manner.
(And would love to try out Steel Beasts with 720 players hooked up to the host... SB can support up to five players via 56k phone modem, but what can be achieved on a GB LAN remains to be seen... )

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread