Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Zalman ZM500-RS Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Zalman ZM500-RS Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/882

Here is a snippet:
"Zalman has recently releases a power supply series based on a resonant switching (RS) design, aptly named RS series. Let's see if the 500 W model from this series is a good buy.Like other power suppli..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

The single PCIe-cable is a good thing in my opinion, since it prevents cable clutter. It could be 16 AWG though.

12V distribution: While I agree that it's good to separate the CPU and PCIe feeds, I think it's a bad choice to only feed the CPU off 12V1.
AFAIK the most power hungry CPUs generally around are some Phenoms at 140W TDP, and the motherboard's efficiency must be as low as 65% to use all 18A available to feed those.
There's also a Xeon 7030 at 165W, but you won't buy this PSU if you have one of those...

With only 18A (216W) available to feed the rest of the computer, including graphics, motherboard, RAM, HDDs, sound, network, cooling and whatever else, you really have to go low on the graphics not to overload the 12V2 line.

I'd like to see the result of an asymmetric test with 10A pulled off 12V1 and 12V2 load increased until the PSU shuts off or 12V noise is outside specs.
But then again, as noted this PSU is too expensive anyway, so there's little use in bothering about such nit-picking...

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread