Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/973

Here is a snippet:
"ModXStream Pro is a power supply series from OCZ featuring a modular cabling system and a very attractive price tag, at this moment featuring 500 W, 600 W and 700 W models, with the manufacturer promi..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

One "con" with this PSU is that the relatively short cables will probably result in problems when used in a case where the PSU is bottom mounted.
I would definitely get into some trouble reaching the ATX connector and the optical drives in my P183.

For a standard PS/2 case it seems great!

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
kabugaw

Join Date Feb 2008
kabugaw is on a distinguished road

Default Short Cables and Power Output

I should've waited for this article to be released before I bought my CM Storm Scout case to go with this PSU. You're right, the 8-pin CPU connector cannot reach the plugs without cutting across the board. Doesn't look good if you're into cable management, which is quite a requirement now due to the high heat output of current systems.

I have a quick question (actually, it's quite long to state). The next item on my upgrade list is a GPU. The following are my specs:

> CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
> HSF: Cooler Master V8
> RAM: 2 x 2GB DDR2-1066MHz
> M.B.: XFX 750i
> ODD: 1 x DVD-RW
> FAN: 2 x 120mm | 2 x 140mm | 1 x 80mm
> PSU: OCZ ModXStream 500W
> GPU: XFX 8600GT 256

What would be the best GPU for this setup? Not much of a gamer, but I do have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and I want to game in that resolution. My current setup can't do World in Conflict in that resolution and with full eye candy. Also, the PC is connected to a 46" LCD TV.

Muchas gracias!
kabugaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabugaw View Post
... the 8-pin CPU connector cannot reach the plugs without cutting across the board. Doesn't look good if you're into cable management, ...
You can always use an extension cable, but short cables is an irritant. (As is unused long cables, you can hardly have one without the other without going modular.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabugaw View Post
What would be the best GPU for this setup?
A quick reply, keeping it off topic:
From a purely technical point of view I'd say the Radeon HD5850 is right on in terms of performance. It can run just about all current games at the highest settings in your resolution.
Getting budget and time into the equation I'd say that a Radeon HD5770 with 1GB RAM would do nicely at a lower cost if you don't require everything to run at maximum settings, and the upcoming GeForce GTX460 might be an interesting option if you can accept to wait a couple of months.
Radeon HD5830 would be a good option from a performance point of view, but it's way too expensive compared to 5770 and 5850. If you can find it at a price in the middle between those two, or less, then that's what you want!

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
kabugaw

Join Date Feb 2008
kabugaw is on a distinguished road

Thanks, sir Olle. Hardware Secrets is definitely the best source of useful information. Bought my CM Scout case based on the review from this site also. And I do apologize for the off-topic discussion.

Mabuhay!
kabugaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
anonemus

Join Date Feb 2010
Philippines
anonemus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to anonemus

Just installed this PSU and good thing I only have a mid tower case. It's my first modular PSU and I must say its very convenient!
Old 05-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #7
anonemus

Join Date Feb 2010
Philippines
anonemus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to anonemus

BTW, I read somewhere that the OEM for this PSU is Topower. Is this true?

Edit: been doing some research and found out that the MXSP is made by Sirtec...

Last edited by anonemus; 05-05-2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
KwokAngus

Join Date Mar 2011
KwokAngus is on a distinguished road

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Secrets Team View Post
There has been a new article posted.

Title: OCZ ModXStream Pro 500 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/973

Here is a snippet:
"ModXStream Pro is a power supply series from OCZ featuring a modular cabling system and a very attractive price tag, at this moment featuring 500 W, 600 W and 700 W models, with the manufacturer promi..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
thanks for your article! i am a new member to HARDWAREsecrets forum, i do always come to watch your reviews about power supply! I register as a member due to the reason i want to correct some mistakes in your review about OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W. This power supply is as what you said made (ODM) by Sirtec (or say High Power). It is also theoretically corresponding to High Power's HP-500-G12S but OCZ's one has Modular Cable Management and a 13.5cm fan (see a chinese review about High Power's)(It's old however. Its successor is HPC-500-G12S/HPC-500-H12S) However, the capacitor used by OCZ's should be TREC or "REC" (somebody wrongly recognize TREC as "REC") which is made by Transcend Electrolytic Company. Please correct them in your article if you could do so. thanks so much.

Last edited by KwokAngus; 03-04-2011 at 01:05 PM.
KwokAngus is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread