Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Power Supplies With Fake 80 Plus Badges

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Power Supplies With Fake 80 Plus Badges
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...us-Badges/1054

Here is a snippet:
"It seems incredible, but there are some power supplies in the market carrying fake 80 Plus badges. Because we review lots of power supplies, we were already able to spot a few power supplies with fake..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
hangfirew8

Join Date Jul 2010
hangfirew8 is on a distinguished road

Default Way to go!

Unfortunately this kind of thing is more common than one may think.

For example, in the US, hardware FCC ID's are traded and swapped around between vendors and versions of hardware that have little to nothing to do with the original. Getting products to market fast are all that matters, and filling in the paperwork afterwords happens only when they get caught.

-HF
hangfirew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
ugabuga

Join Date Jul 2010
ugabuga is on a distinguished road

"Once a power supply is rebranded, it must go thru the 80 Plus certification process to ensure that the rebranded unit can also pass the 80 Plus tests."

it's not true, because about ~50% (sic!!) PSUs listed on 80plus.org have copy-pasted PDF reports from 'mother' PSU!

ECOS don't bother if inside of a rebranded PSU are for example same quality capacitors, same cable length or even in one unit cables can be modular and in other not!
I can give aaaaa-looooot of examples if nessesary.

compare carefully:
MXS 400 (modular cabl. sys.) and SXS 400W (no modular cabl. sys.) and some Aerocool.
Same platform? Yes. Same efficiency? Hell, no!

Aerocool and others can sometimes do little cheating, but the SERIOUS problem is that ECOS are cheating us.

Last edited by ugabuga; 07-24-2010 at 09:48 AM.
ugabuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I've just got an e-mail from Spire, that clearly show how some brands are completely clueless:

Quote:
Dear Gabriel and Rafael,

We're very concerned with the following article on your website:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...us-Badges/1054

1. Spire Jewel Black 650 W and 750 W
These two models are certified under our suppliers name Seventeam.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_d...x?id=61&type=2
Spire Jewel Black 650W = ST-550P-AF
Spire Jewel Black 750W = ST-650P-AF

2. Spire BlackMoon 750W, Spire BlackMoon XP 600W and Spire BlackMoon XP 700W
These three models are also certified under our suppliers name Seventeam.
http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_d...x?id=61&type=2
Spire BlackMoon 750W = ST-650WP-WL
Spire BlackMoon XP 600W = ST-550Z-AF
Spire BlackMoon XP 700W = ST-650Z-AF

We provide the 80plus certification from Seventeam to our customers.
Spire does not say Spire is 80plus certified. I hope you can correct your website accordingly.

If you need further information, please let me know.

Thank you,
Vivianne Yeh
Marketing Assistant for Spire
Not only they don't get that they cannot use the 80 Plus name on power supplies that were never certified, but they admit that they use fake wattage on their power supplies (see above)! The reason Ecos Consulting requires companies to re-test rebranded power supplies is exactly because they cannot guarantee that the new brand won't add a fake wattage on them! Of course efficiency at 750 W will be completely different of at 650 W on the same power supply! If the unit got a certification for efficiency above 82% at 650 W, the same power supply probably won't be able to deliver 82% efficiency at 750 W!

My answer is below.

Quote:
Dear Vivianne,

Sorry, but you will have to talk with Ecos Consulting about this. Just because the power supplies your units are based on have the 80 Plus certification this does not allow you to use the 80 Plus certification or any phrase using the 80 Plus name, since the name is trademarked. Using the 80 Plus name on power supplies that haven't got their certification (none of your power supplies got the certification) is deceiving consumers. I explained this on the first page of the article. I won't even talk to you about the fact that you lie about your power supply wattage (e.g. labeling a 550 W unit as being 650 W, labeling a 650 W as being 750 W, etc).

I am fowarding your e-mail to Ecos Consulting, which will explain you the procedure to have your power supplies certified and why you cannot use the name "80 Plus" the way you are doing.

Meanwhile I strongly suggest you to remove the 80 Plus words from your product pages to avoid any legal trouble.

Best regards,
Gabriel.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 07-27-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
ugabuga

Join Date Jul 2010

Quote:
The reason Ecos Consulting requires companies to re-test rebranded power supplies is exactly because they cannot guarantee that the new brand won't add a fake wattage on them!
re-test? Gabriel Torres - have you read my post...?
Another example:
Highpower/Sirtec 600W psu, and other units rebranded:
OCZ, Nesteq, Suza, Gaepoong <-- look at this! All reports are identical (i.e: efficiency 83.07 - 84.57 - 80.45%), because Ecos did not re-tested them again.

Don't focus on writing emails to aerocool/spire/etc., the only question is why Ecos does no test rebranded PSUs again.

Last edited by ugabuga; 07-27-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

I have already noticed that and I will cover this situation in a future article, thanks.

Gabriel.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 AM   #7
QCQC

Join Date Jul 2010
Newtown PA
QCQC is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to QCQC

I agree with ugabuga, you'd better be doing some homework on the rebranded psu's and give the people a clear picture if the 80 plus thing is a strong standard to look at or not. I guess you'd come out with some big surprises, it will be more important than just looking at two vendors and what they're writing on their website.
QCQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

BTW, this other article might be of interest:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...tification/856
Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
ugabuga

Join Date Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
BTW, this other article might be of interest:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...tification/856
yes, we have read this logng time ago, but last sentence from this article:

Quote:
If this was an error or was deliberately done we will leave to the conspiracy theorists out there to discuss.
answer is simple: this was not error or something. As I wrote previously: I can give a lot of examples, not only two. I bet, that HALF(sic!) of all reports was copy-pasted. If you want* more examples write me PW or something.

* - and i hope you want or you can find it yourself, because it is high time to deal with this "issue"

Last edited by ugabuga; 07-29-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
taltamir

Join Date Oct 2010
taltamir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
it must go thru the 80 Plus certification process to ensure that the rebranded unit can also pass the 80 Plus tests.
Using netspeak is extremely amateurish, you cannot take a tech article seriously if they do so.
Please, for all that is right and just, use "through" instead of textese shorthand "thru".

In regards to the article.. Do the Coolmax units actually perform well enough to earn the 80 plus badge if they bother paying for certification like the aerocool units? or are they flat out lying about it like the spire units?

Last edited by taltamir; 10-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.
taltamir is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread