Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Antec LanBoy Air Case Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Antec LanBoy Air Case Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...se-Review/1099

Here is a snippet:
"The LanBoy Air is without a doubt one of the most unique case we've ever seen, being completely meshed to improve air flow and highly customizable. This is not the first time Antec is trying to improv..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

My view on this case differ quite a bit from Gabriel's...

First we have the name:
While I know Antec has chosen "LanBoy" to represent their total range of high end "gaming" products, it's really misleading for this case. LAN parties is a prime example of where I would not use this case, because a) it's a little too heavy to haul around in the first place, and b) it's too easy to open it and nick all the stuff inside.

Then we have the case itself:
Personally I don't like this "totally open" approach, because it doesn't let you define the paths for the air flow. I want a small but efficient air flow rather than lots of inefficient flow.

- That personal opinion aside, I also think Antec has somewhat failed in achieving free flow. The mesh on the sides and front is simply too dense to allow a sufficiently free flow for fanned air. The mesh used for the bottom panel seems about right, and should be used all around instead.

- I really like the highly modular part of the design, allowing the user to tailor the interior to fit his/her needs and liking.

- The HDD mounting system seems great, with a question mark to how well it works if you turn the case upside down and shake it a bit...

- Being an Antec case I miss CPX compatibility.

- For such a high end enthusiast's case, I see no reason for providing any fans at all! Enthusiasts generally have some firm preferences regarding fans, and those are typically not "Antec 2Cool".

- I agree with Gabe that the price is a bit too high for this case, even though it must be seen as a premium niche product.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
AntecJessie

Join Date Sep 2010
AntecJessie is on a distinguished road

I was at PDXLAN earlier this year (500 person LAN in Portland) and while there were some SFF cases and lightweight systems, there were just as many (if not more) full tower systems that were quite heavy. The case comes in at 20lbs and has handles for those who find this too difficult to move around.

As far as the HDD mounting system, you wouldn't want to turn the case upside down. If you're wondering about transport, we'd recommend removing drives using the AirMount system.

Noted about CPX.

You're right, many enthusiasts have their own case preference. But with space for a total of fifteen fans, we saw no point in shipping it without at least a few to get the air moving.

Lastly, the price is what it is. It's an innovative product made for the enthusiast that required 3x the amount of tooling required by conventional cases. While the MSRP is over $200 (US), we've already found it at some shops for less than that.
AntecJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Nice to get some direct feedback from the designer/manufacturer for a change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntecJessie View Post
... there were some SFF cases and lightweight systems, ...
That's what I, a lazy bastard, would opt for.
Quote:
The case comes in at 20lbs and has handles for those who find this too difficult to move around.
Handles are always useful for those often working inside their computer. I've also added wheels to my personal list of useful features. (My previous case, which was my very own design and production, had wheels to make it at all mobile. After switching to an Antec P183 I re-used the wheels for a skateboard sized cart on which I've placed the new case.)

Quote:
As far as the HDD mounting system, you wouldn't want to turn the case upside down. If you're wondering about transport, we'd recommend removing drives using the AirMount system.
So it's useless for OEMs that require their assembled computers to survive regular mail handling...

Using zip-ties to secure the rubber hooks should suffice if/when required, I think.

Quote:
Noted about CPX.
I'm a big fan of the CPX form factor, thinking it's one of the best developments in computer PSU design of late (together with the 80Plus standards).
It worries me a bit that since the release of the CP-850 there has (to my knowledge) been no new case designs supporting it! Two CPUs and three cases just isn't enough to reach the "critical mass" required for total success.
I'd expect Antec to have it supported by all new cases size "medium" and up, and also find other manufacturers of cases and/or PSUs to embrace it.

Quote:
Lastly, the price is what it is. It's an innovative product made for the enthusiast that required 3x the amount of tooling required by conventional cases.
Profit is always a balance between selling few with a high margin on each versus selling a larger quantity at a smaller margin. High tooling costs suggests that either large volumes are required to reduce its part of the total production cost for each specimen or a large margin above the direct production costs.
Time will tell what price is right to sell a sufficient amount to at least get a full return on the design and tooling costs.

I'd love to see the modular concept widened into what essentially boils down to "buy your own design".
Starting with something like the frame of the LanBoy Air, the customer would then pick and chose from a variety of optional components (top/bottom/side panels, front components, etc.) to get a case tailored to his/her needs and preferences.
Unfortunately that would increase the tooling costs quite a bit further, but should also be expected to be a suitable option for a much broader audience.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread