Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Cooling

Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default High End CPU Fan vs Liquid Cooling

Hi. I read this review and found it very helpful in explaining the dynamics involved that make a CPU fan with a specially designed heatsink be more efficient than a stock fan.

But, I just have a simple question: What are the pros and cons involved with using an improved CPU fan such as the one reviewed in this thread, or a liquid cooler such as the Corsair H60? (also reviewed here) http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1681

Thanks and best wishes.
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
jaimelmiel

Join Date Jun 2014
jaimelmiel is on a distinguished road

What cpu Heatsink fan were you talking about? But the cpu heatsink fans of today, at least, the high end coolers are on par with or than better than the High end liquid coolers. But the best liquid coolers wil beat air cooling. But there are only a few.

With air there are no pump failures or leaks. Not many liquid coolers will leak
but when they do it can be catastrophic.
jaimelmiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #3
Blinztree

Join Date Jun 2013
Blinztree is on a distinguished road

Depends on your config and requirements, IMHO. If you have a i7K and plan to OC, a liquid cooler is a better option as these chips do run very hot. But as mentioned, there's always the potential threat of a leakage.

I chose 120mm fans-push-pull-air-cooling over liquid for my i5K because I do not want to spent time to check my box for leakage every time before I switch on my box. Have better things to do with my money and time... like sleeping? Sleep is a luxury for me.

No doubt air cooling may not beat liquid cooling in terms of efficiency but I get a whisper-quiet box that hardly ever crossed over 57'C when OCCT-tested for a few hours. Not too shabby a performance. My box is for video-processing and rendering with AMD HD7850K GPU, 650w PSU and 16GiB 1600mHz RAM. RAM more than sufficient for the job.

Don't need lighting speed graphics. I choose Radeon because of supported OpenCL. No games
Blinztree is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread