Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 11-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
puzzle

Join Date Nov 2013
puzzle is on a distinguished road

Default asus z87-a MB question

I just read in a hardware secrets article that when you only add two DIMMS you should use the yellow sockets first.
Can anyone explain why this is?
thank you
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
asilunde

Join Date Jul 2010
UK
asilunde is on a distinguished road

I haven't checked ASUS's manual, but presumably it is because the yellow slots are channel A and the black slots are channel B. To enable dual channel memory and therefore the highest theoretical performance (haven't seen a dual vs single channel memory performance analysis in a long time), you want to install both DIMMs into the same channel.

The other advantage of using the yellow slots on the ASUS Z87-A is that the yellow slots are further away from the CPU socket, so you are less likely to have issues when installing aftermarket CPU coolers.

Last edited by asilunde; 11-04-2013 at 07:24 AM.
asilunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
puzzle

Join Date Nov 2013
puzzle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by asilunde View Post
I haven't checked ASUS's manual, but presumably it is because the yellow slots are channel A and the black slots are channel B. To enable dual channel memory and therefore the highest theoretical performance (haven't seen a dual vs single channel memory performance analysis in a long time), you want to install both DIMMs into the same channel.

The other advantage of using the yellow slots on the ASUS Z87-A is that the yellow slots are further away from the CPU socket, so you are less likely to have issues when installing aftermarket CPU coolers.
thank you for your reply,
specifically what I want to know is that: with only two DIMMS if both yellow channels are used would that give better performance than if both black channels were used????
puzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
asilunde

Join Date Jul 2010
UK
asilunde is on a distinguished road

I doubt that there is a performance difference.
asilunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

The whole explanation is here:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread