Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 11-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
willyou

Join Date Nov 2013
willyou is on a distinguished road

Default When to Upgrade For Gaming

I have an unusual question that maybe someone here can answer or direct me to somewhere to find the answer.
I am doing some repair work on a run-of-the-mill Dell laptop and I will give it to a 10 year old for his use. He currently uses a computer for playing games. We thought about getting a new one more suitable for gaming (what ever that means), but I'm not sure that he needs such a thing at his age. I'm looking for some kind of guidance on how to determine when he needs a bigger badder computer. I'm thinking that it will depend on the demands of the games he is interested in. Is there any guidance anywhere that gives information on age appropriateness of popular games and ranks them on adequate hardware requirements needed? Or, something like that?
willyou is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyou View Post
I'm thinking that it will depend on the demands of the games he is interested in.
Precisely. You'd need to see what kind of hardware those specific games require

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyou View Post
Is there any guidance anywhere that gives information on age appropriateness of popular games and ranks them on adequate hardware requirements needed? Or, something like that?
Not that I can think of. Chances are, though, he's not going to be playing anything like Call of Duty or GTA (Well, at least I hope not at that age), so you probably don't need to go too high end, but laptops are hopeless for gaming. Either they have poor graphics capabilities, or run too hot and cook themselves after 2-3 years. Something like a Core i3 with a mid range GPU would probably do fine.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
willyou

Join Date Nov 2013
willyou is on a distinguished road

c.hegge,
Thanks. I guess I'll just see if I can get this old laptop running and let him use it as long it serves his purpose. If/when he needs something with more computing power, we'll deal with it then.
Thanks for the tip on laptops not being good for gaming. We'll keep that in mind when that time comes.
Thanks again.
willyou is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread