Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #1
theo5388

Join Date Dec 2013
theo5388 is on a distinguished road

Default First time builder questions

Good day everyone.

I'll soon be starting a custom build. But before I get to that, I want to give you some background info as to what I need. So basically I'm just looking for some opinions and perhaps some alternatives.

I own a car performance business in which we import and install parts and do performance software upgrades (chip tuning).
So, basically my aim is to build a fairly hardcore system as a test run as I will be building up computers to be used elsewhere in the company too. For me, from a financial point of view, this makes more sense as I would be able to build up a better specced system for less or equal to the cost of a fairly mediocre retail store system. And, once things become a bit outdated, its just a matter of replacing parts with better ones.

So, my main uses for the computer would be the usual day to day business stuff; spreadsheets, word processing...but the more demanding things would be photo and video editing for when we shoot product and service promos. Perhaps the more regular intensive task will be when we're doing the tuning. When modifying the values the final step is a checksum calculation. This is quite an intense calculation as I remember my previous tuner had a laptop (not sure of all the specs) that had 8gb of ram, and that took about 90secs to do the calculation and compile the final >500kb file.

So, I'm looking to build something that can do this calculation quickly, and to also be reliable as hell.

For purely a financial reason I have decided to go with an AMD system. Now I'm sure some of you would recommend an Intel system (I'm all ears for any suggestions), but like I always tell my customers, you cannot compare one type of exhaust system to another if it is going to be used on different cars. Everything works together as a complete system, and as such you cannot compare isolated parts if the rest of the system isn't exactly the same.

Now, that being said, I just want to focus on the CPU and MB combo for now, as those are perhaps the most important.

So, what I am considering is:

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8350

Do you guys reckon that would be a pretty solid build that will last for quite some time to come? As mentioned, cost is a huge factor. Again, as I say to my customers, there's no point in spending and extra $1000 on an exhaust system that will only give you 10hp more, unless you're only goal is building a dyno-queen and simply doing it for bragging rights

Again, any and all suggestions are welcomed with open arms. But please, lets keep things realistic, in terms of comparing CPUs and MB's to one-another.

Huge thanks in advance!
theo5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I'd go with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H motherboard and Intel Core i5 4570 or 4570K CPU. You'll get much better performance. AMD are miles behind Intel.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
theo5388

Join Date Dec 2013
theo5388 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
I'd go with a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H motherboard and Intel Core i5 4570 or 4570K CPU. You'll get much better performance. AMD are miles behind Intel.
Thanks c.hegge for your reply. I actually have decided to go a completely different route. I agree, AMD is quite behind. Initially, AMD does look cheaper, but it is possible to build a better, cheaper system with Intel components.

So I decided to go the mATX route. Boards and cases are cheaper, and you only really sacrifice a few USB ports and perhaps space if you plan on running SLI or CF (which I won't be doing). I spent a ton of hours reading reviews, watching YouTube vids etc. and have finally got a setup that ticks every box for my current needs.

So I've ordered the following parts:

Gryphon Z87 board
I5 4570
Gryphon z87 armor kit
Aerocool DS black case
Cooler Master 120V CPU cooler

Picking a case was probably the most difficult as I prefer something that looks as neat and tidy as an OEM setup. I'm not a fan of a bunch of LED lights and acrylic windows (but the can look awesome if done properly), and I reckon the DS will fit in perfectly in an office environment.

Of course, I know this isn't a complete kit, but I'm not in a huge rush. First wanna put those together and then start browsing for the rest of the items needed.
theo5388 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread