Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > CPUs

Old 12-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Cveti Cvetkov

Join Date Dec 2013
Cveti Cvetkov is on a distinguished road

Default to what degree does the transistor count in a chip affect a processor's performance a

Hello, everyone

I am a University student, and I was inspired to do my own research on assessing to what degree does the transistor count in a chip affect a processor's performance and increased power consumption/heat dissipation.

But I am finding that this topic is really challenging and I would like to turn to someone as knowledgeable as you guys, for advice. Would it be possible for anyone to link me to any experimental/evaluational/research data that is relevant to either processor's performance or increased power consumption/heat dissipation, or provide me with any guidelines to follow? Basically any data with experimental results that I could use to support my claims?

Thank you,
Kindest regards,

Cveti
Cveti Cvetkov is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
ElXtronic

Join Date Apr 2007
Connecticut,USA
ElXtronic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to ElXtronic
Thumbs up An answer 2 such a basic question.

More transistors = more work, yet architecture in general has an impact due to the arrangement with such things as IMC alignment & such. In quantum computing where the transistors are only an atom in size they must be maintained by much heavier cooling to extremes in order to sustain a stable form or else the chip will not run as the atomic structure will get out of wack, the smaller they get in nm's the more you have to account for cooling, just look at how your motherboard's realtek IC chipset doesn't require any heatsink yet the northbridge/southbridge have a much bigger transistor count overall needing a heat sink. I hope this helps you better understand that size does matter. The closer a transistor is to one another the more heat it shares across the spectrum in general, this can be verified by looking at the size of heat sinks for CPU's over history, they have become more heavy duty over the course of time.

Last edited by ElXtronic; 01-28-2014 at 01:58 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

None. It is a simply stupid metrics to impress the market. Performance is not about the transistor count, but how the CPU's internal building blocks are built. A more efficient construction will use less transistors.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:14 AM   #4
ElXtronic

Join Date Apr 2007
Connecticut,USA
ElXtronic is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to ElXtronic

Gabriel my friend, how have you been!?! Long time no see buddy, couldn't log in for awhile, had to guess my password over and over again lol. But yeah just because a CPU has more transistors doesn't necessarily make the die any more powerful, look at how Pentium 4's used a bunch of transistors utilizing a net burst transmission type and AMD single cores still ran faster due to integration of it's internals being more efficient. Think about it this way, if Intel had to travel from point A-Z but AMD had a shorter data path with less transistors in the way though plenty enough to satisfy, AMD is getting to Z first, hence their sales on single cores dominating the market back in the day.

Share This Thread