Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Consumer Electronics

Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
lesle

Join Date Feb 2013
lesle is on a distinguished road

Default HDTV Hookup

We recently purchased but have not yet set up a 1)Samsung UN22F5000 HDTV, 2) a Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray Player, and 3) a Roku 3. The Samsung has QAM tuning.

We're on Comcast cable; we do not yet have an HD cable box.

The Samsung HDTV has two HDMI ports; we'd like to use those for the Blu-ray player and the Roku.

Which means co-axial input into the HDTV. The HDTV has only one co-axial port, labeled ANT IN written over AIR/CABLE. Using co-axial cable, and using the remote to switch inputs, can I do this and get both OTA HD and cable HD?
============
OTA Antenna

Co-axial Splitter→HDTV

HD Cable Box

Comcast
============
All advice will be sorely appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by lesle; 12-22-2013 at 07:30 AM.
lesle is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

The image quality will be really bad if you use the coxial input. You need a switcher, which is a device that you will conect to one of the HDMI inputs of the TV, and then connect all devices to the switcher. Usually home theather receivers have this function, i.e. you hook up everything to the receiver and then connect the receiver to a single HDMI input on the TV. Another option is to manually switch cables. Bottom line: don't use anything but HDMI.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
lesle

Join Date Feb 2013
lesle is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Gabriel. It's been yet another learning experience and I appreciate the information and advice.

Happy New Year!
lesle is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread