Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #1
abhikrk

Join Date Jan 2014
abhikrk is on a distinguished road

Default DIY Budget Multimedia Workstation

Hello and Good evening

Looking to build a budget workstation.
Budget approx 800 USD

Primary Use: Photo Editing, Non-Linear video edits, 3D Modeling
Secondary Use(s): Programming and application development, Gaming (including Steam Client), , miscellaneous.

I will be running Linux, either Arch or Gentoo.
(There is a possibility to dual-boot in Windows, but i'll decide that later when needed)
Some of the software/services would be run in dedicated containers,
so i'll use (a combination of) virtualization heavily.
Both Gentoo and Arch provide a number of means for that

Parts i have picked for now:
AMD FX 6300 Black Edition
G.Skil Sniper 4 GB RAM DDR3-1600
Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 1 GB

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/abhikrk/saved/3qPe

I'm looking for recomemndations on:-
Motherboard
Graphics Card
(Anything that lets me play current games at decent frame rates will suffice.)
Power Supply
Case

Not sure whether i need a CPU cooler (or other coolers) at the very outset.
Could i hold on to that i.e. see how the stock cooler stacks up with the workload and choose one later?
The same would apply for passive coolers, if at all.

Given that gaming needs are going to be occasional, i would expect overclocking to be minimal
and hence wondering if an AMD970 board e.g. AsusM5A97 would be fine for me (single graphics card should be enough)?

Should i look for an SSD for additional performance?

Storage needs for this build is minimal as i have a separate NAS and this is thus mostly compute-oriented

I'm at India, and will order most of my parts online through
http://www.primeabgb.com/
http://www.flipkart.com/
abhikrk is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2C13E

Something like that would do OK. While an SSD is definitely great for performance, you can't fit one in that budget.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
abhikrk

Join Date Jan 2014

Thanks

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...therboard/1772
From this it seems that 970 is a simpler version of 990FX with multi-graphics support

Given that gaming is not my primary requirement, would a 970-based motherboard suffice compared to a 900FX-based one?

That way i can save up for a better graphics card or even SSD

However ...
I am hoping to not upgrade in at least the next 3-4 years. Considering that, is it better to get a motherboard with multi-graphics support and thus 990FX-based one?
Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 PM   #4
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

You could use a 970 board, and you would end up with this (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2EUsP). The reason I suggested a 990FX board is because some 970 boards may need a BIOS update to support the FX-6300 (and in order to do that, you would have to have another CPU which is supported by the stock BIOS). That said, though, new boards would probably come with a new enough BIOS version.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
abhikrk

Join Date Jan 2014

Hello again

Had to put this on hiatus for a while.

I have ended up increasing the budget so that i can add an SSD and anything else
that will help me not having to upgrade for a few years.
With that in mind, i added a 990FX Asus Sabertooth which i was able to get at a much discounted price. I'm hoping that in future if i need more processing power i can get a way with overclocking the FX 6300 and if that fails, then an upgrade to a higher-end FX processor should be enough. The Sabertooth should help with both possibilities.

Now i need to add:-
- an SSD
- a Graphics card
- a Case
- a CD/DVD burner

What i have in mind for these are
- Samsung EVO 840 128 GB
- GTX 750/750Ti series (the newer lower-powered Maxwell cards, given gaming at highest resolution is not my priority, i can manage with these). Cards here are available from MSI, Asus, Galaxy
- no Corsair cases here (based on earlier suggestion). Instead i can find
Cooler Master HAF 912, Cooler Master N500, N600, Cooler Master Elite, Cooler Master
CM Force 500, NZXT Phantom 530, Corsair Carbide
- Samsung SH-224BB (from the earlier suggestion)

Any comments on the possible choices?

Also, will i need to use a thermal compound?

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Your SSD is fine. I've had good experiences with the Samsing 840 Evo series.

For the GPU, probably a Gigabyte card, and for the case, maybe a Coolermaster N400 or N600.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
abhikrk

Join Date Jan 2014

I decided that i'll skip a GTX 750/750Ti card as it doesn't support SLI and i'll prefer that to future-proof (This is why i went for the Sabetooth motherboard after all) the system
Which leaves me to choose either a GTX 660 or 760.

This is the configuration i have arrived at (yet to order the Graphics card, SSD, CD/DVD burner, Case and Wireless Adapter)
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/abhikrk/saved/4inM
(I can't get the Samsung CD/DVD burner here, so opting for the Asus)

This probably is no longer a budget workstation and maybe should be judged accordingly (i.e. if i'm getting the best bang for the buck)
Also, i'm wondering if i should have opted for a more powerful processor but i think i have to leave that for now and upgrade, if at all, later.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

That CPU is going to be quite a bottleneck, so I really wouldn't bother going SLi unless you upgrade it to an FX8350 (about the only AMD CPU that might not bottleneck two GPUs)

If you hadn't already purchased the board, I would have suggested going with Intel. Even a Core i3 is faster than the FX-6300, and it wouldn't have been any more expensive.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 AM   #9
abhikrk

Join Date Jan 2014

I agree.
SLI happens, if needed at all, at least a year or 2 down the line. That's when i'll upgrade the CPU too. Maybe by that time AMD will come up with more FX options too.

I agree on the Intel recommendation.
On balance, i went for AMD because
- I'll be running a lot of Virtual machines, so anything that promises to let me do
that (the FX series) i'll be curious to try it out
- I'll be running Windows now, but once the gaming support improves, i might just use
Linux exclusively in which case a distribution like Gentoo lets me future-proof this setup
a lot more
- I haven't gamed in a while, so i'm not sure how much i'll be using this for gaming. If i
end up gaming a lot, i'll use the Graphics card and maybe the case to build an
Intel-based gaming rig
Old 04-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #10
cokNokassug

Join Date Apr 2014
Indonesia
cokNokassug is on a distinguished road

Send a message via ICQ to cokNokassug
Default Spesifikasi iphone, Advan, Lenovo

Sekedar informasi bagi agan-agan yang baru cari2 info harga dan spesifikasi handphone maupun smartphone tipe apapun. Kalau ada yang lagsung mau beli juga bisa menghubungi kontak yang ada, dijamin nego sampai harga termurah yang pernah ada.
cokNokassug is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread