Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 02-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #1
Hardware Secrets Team
Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB vs. Western Digital WD Black 4 TB Hard Drive Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Seagate Desktop HDD 4 TB vs. Western Digital WD Black 4 TB Hard Drive Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ve-Review/1835

Here is a snippet:
"While SSDs are the best choice in roles that need high speed (mostly boot drives for the home user), many people need large amounts of storage space, and traditional hard drives still give the best va..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald

Join Date Feb 2010
Lady Fitzgerald is on a distinguished road

The conclusion of the article failed to point out that, though the WD is more expensive than the Seagate, the WD has a five year warranty. The Seagate has only a two year warranty; or so it is advertised. Many users reviews are claiming that Seagate is claiming the drives have only a one year warranty when the users of drives that failed between one and two years filed warranty claims.

Seagate warranty replacements are refurbished drives, even for DOAs. Most Seagate user reviews report problems with Seagate's warranty process whereas most WD reviewers report much better warranty treatment from WD.

I was also disappointed that this review didn't report on other things, such as noise levels and operating temperatures.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
The conclusion of the article failed to point out that, though the WD is more expensive than the Seagate, the WD has a five year warranty. The Seagate has only a two year warranty; or so it is advertised. Many users reviews are claiming that Seagate is claiming the drives have only a one year warranty when the users of drives that failed between one and two years filed warranty claims.

Seagate warranty replacements are refurbished drives, even for DOAs. Most Seagate user reviews report problems with Seagate's warranty process whereas most WD reviewers report much better warranty treatment from WD.

I was also disappointed that this review didn't report on other things, such as noise levels and operating temperatures.
Thank you for the suggestions, next time we will test temperatures also, and pay attention to the warranties.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
thx1138

Join Date Sep 2013
thx1138 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware Secrets Team View Post
"While SSDs are the best choice in roles that need high speed (mostly boot drives for the home user), many people need large amounts of storage space, and traditional hard drives still give the best va..."
It appears that the choice of an SSD for home users isn't really that good of an idea unless they have a good UPS.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...ling-your-ssds

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...e-manufacturer

Also while the WD warranty is better than Seagate it's much better not to have to need that warranty and the headaches that go with using it. I've found WD's drives to be more reliable. That may also be why they offer the longer warranty. That's my personal experience.
thx1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
JJ Johnson

Join Date Feb 2014
JJ Johnson is on a distinguished road

Comparing these two drives made absolutely no sense.

- The Western Digital Black is more expensive than the Seagate Desktop, by more than 50%(!) in the US.
- The Western Digital Black has a 7200 RPM rotational speed vs. 5900 RPM for the Seagate.
- The Western Digital Black has a 5 year warranty vs. a 2 year for the Seagate Desktop.

The correct review would have pitted the Western Digital Green drive against the Seagate Desktop drive of the same capacity. They're comparably priced, with comparable rotational speeds and the same warranty.

The difference in rotational speed alone accounts for the higher performance of the WD drive in every test. A 7200 RPM drive would never lose out to a 5900 RPM drive when the platter densities are similar.

Like I said ... this just made no sense.

Last edited by JJ Johnson; 02-20-2014 at 01:01 AM.
JJ Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

JJ Johnson, thanks for your feedback.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I've just edited Rafael's conclusions to reflect the information you guys posted here. Many thanks.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

My systems are plugged into a UPS, so I have never experienced the SSD problems noted. I've been running a SSD boot drive and a RAID1 pair of 2TB Seagate "LP" drives on my primary system for over two and a half years now, with no hitches or glitches. My "backup" system uses a SSD and a RAID1 pair of 1TB WD Black drives, and those are probably going on two years.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
rarchimedes

Join Date Dec 2007
rarchimedes is on a distinguished road

On several of the tests, I could find no way to come up with the percentage performance differences that you listed. It doesn;t effect the conclusions, but it was a bit odd.
rarchimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarchimedes View Post
On several of the tests, I could find no way to come up with the percentage performance differences that you listed. It doesn;t effect the conclusions, but it was a bit odd.
You are right, the read and write percentages were switched. Thanks!

Share This Thread