Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
Tenshi

Join Date Feb 2014
Tenshi is on a distinguished road

Default Overheating EVGA nForce 780i SLI Motherboard

Ok so I just got a build in last night to look at! It the owner explains how the build will work just fine but freezes after a little time of operating in windows 7! I was really tired last night so I didn't spend much time on it, but I did log into the bios and found that the North Bridge was at idle in the bios "80c / 180 deg F!" I then shut it down and looked online and found that this board is suppose to have a north bridge fan! Any one know if not having a fan on the NB will cause temperatures to get this high? I am going to start trouble shooting it today so I will post more information! Thanks!

Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Tenshi

Join Date Feb 2014
Tenshi is on a distinguished road

Ok so I took off the North bridge heat sink and replaced the thermal grease, tore off the spacers, put it back on and fired it up and found it was performing at lower temps but was still reaching temps as high as 65c"much slower temp gain than before", next I took a slim 60 mm fan and mounted it where the missing one was suppose to be, now the temp is at 46c and stays there!

I am still trouble shooting to see if there are any more problems, I had to order a new post tester and it wont be in till tomorrow, so I will leave more info then!
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Nice job.

FYI, Those Nvidia chipsets have known flaws with their soldering and substrate material, which causes the internal soldering to crack sooner than usual due to thermal cycles, so try to keep the chipset as cool as possible.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:06 AM   #4
PcTestCardsCom

Join Date Jan 2014
PcTestCardsCom is on a distinguished road

Yes, the chipset will be running very hot if the FAN is missing from the original place.

hope the chipset is not overheated and causing the damaged already.

Using new thermal paste and adding the FAN are the correct move.

Cheers,
Bill
Tech Manager, WPTinc.
PcTestCardsCom is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread