Old 04-03-2014, 03:15 AM   #1
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012
DominicCrozet is on a distinguished road

Default PC voluntarily shutdown - then reboots

My PC, seems to randomly shutdown and reboot. Some of my components include:

AsRock Z77 Extreme6 Motherboard

Intel 3rd Generation Core i7-3770K CPU (

Corsair RAM CMX16GX3M4A1333C9 XMS 16GB (4x4GB)

Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670

OCZ 850W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold

OS is windows 8

This happens when I am just surfing the web. Could anyone please help.

Thanks. Dominic
DominicCrozet is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Does it do a clean shutdown (ie, the kind of shutdown that occurs if you were to manually shut the PC down)? Or does it suddenly shut down (like it would if you pulled the power cable out)?

If it's the latter it's probably the RAM. I've had that problem with every single PC I've built in the last few years with Corsair RAM. You could try increasing the RAM voltage slightly in the BIOS to maybe 1.65 or 1.7V.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Hi, thanks for the response.
It is more of a clean shutdown. However, I may have resolved the problem. When I first built this computer a techy guy told me you don't need to worry about fans too much. He also added it adds costs to your electricity bills. Have only left one case fan on. However, this guy does not own a machine as powerful as mine. I think the problem was overheating. I opened of the side panel of the case and put a large fan on full power next to it and left my pc on for several hours. I am happy to say there were no problems. I have now turned all the fans on in my case and so far no problems.
Thank you anyway,
Dominic
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

That's odd. Normally, if it's overheating, the computer will just shut off suddenly (as if you had pulled the power) and refuse to power back on again until it has cooled down. As for the hole thing about fans adding to your power bill, that's rubbish. Most fans draw no more than a couple of watts, so it might add $0.10 for every 1000 hours the PC is on.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Sorry for late reply. Whatever have done seems to have cleared the problem. It certainly doesn't shut down and refuse to put the power back on until it has cooled down. It comes back on really quickly. Anyway, will keep a further eye on it.
Thanks
Dominic
Old 04-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #6
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Default Seems you were right - not overheating probs

Hi c. hedge,
My voluntary/random rebooting has reared its ugly head again. When I was surfing the web or using Word it shutdown and quickly rebooted. I thought it had resolved the problem when I turned on the fans in the computer case and the problem ceased to be.
However, recently have been using my more powerful editing software and this is now when it occurs. I tried your suggestion of increasing the voltage in the bios. I tried both 1.65 and 1.7v. Unfortunately this didn't work either. The other strange thing is when it does this voluntary/random rebooting it can sometimes do a windows update.
When I built this computer I have always felt that the large GTX 670 GPU doesn't fit comfortably in my Mobo. I have had to not bolt the GPU to the case as the bolts don't fit well as seem to pull the GPU too much. Could this have anything to do with the problems?
Hardware secrets to the rescue - please help! Much appreciated.
Dominic
Old 04-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicCrozet View Post
When I built this computer I have always felt that the large GTX 670 GPU doesn't fit comfortably in my Mobo. I have had to not bolt the GPU to the case as the bolts don't fit well as seem to pull the GPU too much. Could this have anything to do with the problems?
Absolutely. Graphics cards should always be screwed to the case. The board should have a clip on the back of the PCI-E socket which prevents it from being pulled out at the back, so don't worry too much if it feels like it pulls a bit.

btw, what case are you using? I've only ever had issues with screw holes not lining up well on really cheap generic cases.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Hi C.hegge,
The case that I have is a:

BNIB ANTEC 1200 (TWELVE HUNDRED) BLACK STEEL ATX FULL TOWER COMPUTER CASE

I didn't notice a 'clip' but will go and check. I remember I had this random rebooting problem over a year ago and all I did was take the GPU out of the socket and put it in again. It seemed to resolve the problem. However, this may prove not to be a long term solution.
Thanks for the advice.
Dominic
Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Odd. I used to use the same case fro my main rig (and now I use it for my office rig). I didn't have any issues with the GPU screw holes not lining up.

EDIT: The clips I mentioned are present (see attachment)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_big.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	451  

Last edited by c.hegge; 04-14-2014 at 06:30 PM.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Hi there,
I know what clips you are talking about. Yes, I have clipped it in.
I took your advice and pulled the GPU closer to the holes where the nuts enter and have screwed them in. So far, have not had any problems with the random rebooting. Am not going to get too carried away, realise its all trial and error.
Many thanks
Dominic
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread