Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Zalman CNPS9900 MAX CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Zalman CNPS9900 MAX CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1176

Here is a snippet:
"Today we are testing the top-shelf CPU air cooler from Zalman, the CNPS9900 MAX, which has two circular heatsinks, three heatpipes and a 135 mm LED fan. Let's check if its performance.The box of the C..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Good performance at so-so noise level, with a high price and no possibility to use the fan of your choice.
Not that great to me...

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Yes Olle, I agree, while this cooler clearly performs well, I have never been a fan (no pun intended) of the proprietary open fan style of CPU coolers. They seem flimsy to me, the frame-less style fan, and it's mounting, it just bothers me. If the fan fails, can a replacement be obtained from the manufacture? That is your only option.

I bought a Thermaltake V1 on clearance, which is similar to this Zalman, having the frame-less open fan. IMO it was prone to vibration of the cooling fins due to the style of fan. I don't use it.
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
JH1964

Join Date Jan 2011
Texas
JH1964 is on a distinguished road

Question Confused About Chart Info for Zalman 9900Max

In the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX CPU Cooler Review (on this site), the first chart (containing dBA noise levels) on page 5 has me a bit confused and I need some clarification, please.
It shows the Zalman CNPS9900 MAX as producing a core temp of 63 degrees C under the Full Load column. And it shows the Zalman 10X Extreme with a temp of 51. Suggestion the 10X is much cooler. But on the chart just below that, it shows the MAX as 1 degree cooler.
I guess I am now understanding the first chart. Can someone please help explain? From all the reviews I've read, the MAX should be better (as the color chart just under the first chart on page 5 shows).
Thanks in advance.
JH1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden

You must also look at the first column, with the room temperature.
The 10X Extreme was tested with a 13 degrees lower room temperature, which result in lower absolute temperature.
The diagram shows the differences between CPU and room temperature for all tested coolers.

Cheers
Olle
Old 01-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

JH1964,

As Olle says, the graph uses the delta-T (core temperature minus room temperature), not the absolute core temperature. Some reviews are wrong because they compare the absolute core temperatures, which don't make any sense when keeping the heat transfer theory in mind.
The cooling performance actually depends on the delta-T, not on the core temperature, so it is the data we compare at the graph.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
JH1964

Join Date Jan 2011
Texas

Thanks guys. I figured it out a bit after I posted the question but I didn't know about the delta-T. I'll need to do some research on that. I'm doing a new build and for the cooler narrowed it down between the MAX and the H70.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden

I would only recommend H70 to those that need high cooling performance and mobility without regards to noise.
Definitely the Corsair H50, and probably also the new Antec H20 Kühler, provide nearly the same cooling performance at a considerably lower noise level.

Cheers
Olle
Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
JH1964

Join Date Jan 2011
Texas

Default How tight...

I've been using the 9900 MAX for a month now. It is fantastic! It is very quiet (much quieter than I thought it was going to be). It is pretty easy to install, much easier than I would have imagined from some other reviews.
It is very secure, not like the other brand that someone mentioned as vibrating because of a frameless design. The cooling performance to size and noise ratio can't be beat. In fact, it is barely beaten by a liq. system and not enough to justify the cost or noise of the H70.
My only question is how tight are you really supposed to tighten the screws on this thing? Can over-tightening damage the cpu?
I'd like to know how tight you at Hardware Secrets tightened it and by what did you judge the tightness.
I tightened it until the supplied wrench just began to bow slightly.
Thanks for any first-hand knowledge input.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #10
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH1964 View Post
I've been using the 9900 MAX for a month now. It is fantastic! It is very quiet (much quieter than I thought it was going to be). It is pretty easy to install, much easier than I would have imagined from some other reviews.
It is very secure, not like the other brand that someone mentioned as vibrating because of a frameless design. The cooling performance to size and noise ratio can't be beat. In fact, it is barely beaten by a liq. system and not enough to justify the cost or noise of the H70.
My only question is how tight are you really supposed to tighten the screws on this thing? Can over-tightening damage the cpu?
I'd like to know how tight you at Hardware Secrets tightened it and by what did you judge the tightness.
I tightened it until the supplied wrench just began to bow slightly.
Thanks for any first-hand knowledge input.
JH1964,
We tightened the screws until the end of the thread.
Best Regards,
Rafael

Share This Thread