Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Core i7-2600K CPU Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Core i7-2600K CPU Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...PU-Review/1178

Here is a snippet:
"Intel launched this month their new CPUs based on the "Sandy Bridge" architecture. Let's check the performance of the new Core i7-2600K (3.4 GHz) and compare it to the CPU it came to replace, the Core..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

Hi

I believe on page 14, the images of the physics and combined scores are flipped. You have the combined score right under the graphics score while the physics score is located at the bottom. However, the text appears to talk about the physics score and then the combined score.

I can't help but wonder if AMD's Bulldozer (Zambezi) is going to be the direct competitor for Intel's 2600K. The 2600K really seems make a strong argument for any performance user over more expensive options, while the 2500k caters to gamers. Are LGA 1336 systems worth recommending anymore?
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

nice review Gabriel this just goes further to show AMD better be bringing some mighty magic to the show with their bulldozer based CPU's because so far I've seen nothing but arse spankings from Intel
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
I believe on page 14, the images of the physics and combined scores are flipped. You have the combined score right under the graphics score while the physics score is located at the bottom. However, the text appears to talk about the physics score and then the combined score.
Fixed, thanks a lot for reporting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
I can't help but wonder if AMD's Bulldozer (Zambezi) is going to be the direct competitor for Intel's 2600K. The 2600K really seems make a strong argument for any performance user over more expensive options, while the 2500k caters to gamers. Are LGA 1336 systems worth recommending anymore?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
nice review Gabriel this just goes further to show AMD better be bringing some mighty magic to the show with their bulldozer based CPU's because so far I've seen nothing but arse spankings from Intel
Thanks, we will have to wait and see. It is being like this for several years, Intel releases a new CPU and then AMD has to play catch-up...

Cheers,
Gabriel
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #5
paladin2006

Join Date Apr 2010
paladin2006 is on a distinguished road

Gabriel,

firstly, thank you for the review.

Secondly, please answer a question. How does the cooler of an overclocking-friendly CPU (for example, Core i5-2500K) compares to an ordinary CPU's cooler in terms of heat dissipation, noise, ease of installation?

And, at last, how much does the K-index CPU' cooler weights? Particularly, I would like to know, whether it is safe to move a computer case with such a cooler installed.

With respect.
paladin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #6
moshpit

Join Date Dec 2006
moshpit is on a distinguished road

Overall a decent review, but I was fairly underwhelmed by the overclocking section. Not by the results you achieved so much as the lack of description surrounding your overclocking experience with this chip. 1.5 vcore is pretty beefy, so mentioning it without the pertinent details leaves more questions then answers.

1. What cooling was used, air or water and what model?
2. Did you spend any time at all stress testing that overclock, and if you did, how long and with what stress apps?
3. What temps did you hit with that cooling while stress testing? Full load, idle, etc.
4. Open bench or in tower tested, and if in tower, what model?

Not trying to be a kill-joy here, but these details make or break an overclocking report.
moshpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #7
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Overall a nice review of a good product.

What bugs me a bit (of the review) is the "gaming" part...
Starting from the end, with the conclusion
Quote:
Gaming performance ... is dictated mainly by the video card, not by the CPU (unless you use a low-end CPU), and therefore you can save some money buying the new Core i5-2500K instead...
I think this is an understatement, to say the least.
I run a slightly overclocked Athlon64 X2 4600+ which is (supposedly) performance wise equivalent to an Athlon II X2 240. At 1680x1050, the resolution used by about 25% of all Steam users according to the latest survey, I can run Crysis at High graphics settings with a Radeon HD5770.
I'd say that even a Core i5-2500K is way overkill for the vast majority of gaming applications today.

Now for the game benchmarks: The settings used are so low (to show the effect of the CPU rather than the video card used) that they are unrealistic. It would be much better to hike the settings up until you reach frame rates so low that any further increase in the setting will degrade the gaming experience.
If that level turns out to be dictated by the video card, then you've proven that the tested CPU is overkill for gaming (which is a good thing for the consumer to know)!

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin2006 View Post
Secondly, please answer a question. How does the cooler of an overclocking-friendly CPU (for example, Core i5-2500K) compares to an ordinary CPU's cooler in terms of heat dissipation, noise, ease of installation?

And, at last, how much does the K-index CPU' cooler weights? Particularly, I would like to know, whether it is safe to move a computer case with such a cooler installed.

With respect.
The stock cooler of this CPU looks identical to the stock cooler of the socket 1156 CPUs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
Overall a decent review, but I was fairly underwhelmed by the overclocking section. Not by the results you achieved so much as the lack of description surrounding your overclocking experience with this chip. 1.5 vcore is pretty beefy, so mentioning it without the pertinent details leaves more questions then answers.
Our website is targeted to the mainstream user. Overclocking is not our primary focus (in our previous CPU reviews we wouldn't even overclock the CPU). Therefore, for more in-depth overclocking tests, you should read reviews posted on overclocking-oriented websites.

Quote:
1. What cooling was used, air or water and what model?
The stock cooler.

Quote:
2. Did you spend any time at all stress testing that overclock, and if you did, how long and with what stress apps?
We ran Far Cry benchmark three times to consider the system stable.

Quote:
3. What temps did you hit with that cooling while stress testing? Full load, idle, etc.
We didn't measure.

Quote:
4. Open bench or in tower tested, and if in tower, what model?
Open bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
(...)I run a slightly overclocked Athlon64 X2 4600+ which is (supposedly) performance wise equivalent to an Athlon II X2 240. (...)
You have a low-end CPU. Because of that, the CPU will provide a bottleneck on gaming performance. The statement I posted -- that the GPU is more important than the CPU in gaming performance -- is only valid for high-end CPUs.

Cheers,
Gabriel.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 01-26-2011 at 10:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
You have a low-end CPU. Because of that, the CPU will provide a bottleneck on gaming performance. The statement I posted -- that the GPU is more important than the CPU in gaming performance -- is only valid for high-end CPUs.
My point was (and is) that although my low end CPU does limit the performance, it doesn't limit the experience (much) at the very normal gaming resolution I use.
Therefore it seems stupid to advice buying a $230 CPU for this use, when a $100 CPU (twice as fast as mine) will provide the same experience (with marginally lower benchmark numbers).

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Perfect, Olle. I agree with you. Sometimes the "gaming experience" gain by getting a CPU that costs the double is marginal, at best.

Thanks for clarifying,
Gabriel.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread