Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default XFX PRO 750 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: XFX PRO 750 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1182

Here is a snippet:
"XFX is releasing their PRO series of power supplies, with single +12 V rail, DC-DC secondary design, and 80 Plus Bronze certification. So far three models were released: 650 W, 750 W, and 850 W. We ha..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
gijoe50000

Join Date Oct 2013
gijoe50000 is on a distinguished road

In the review under load testing: room temp 45 degrees? holy sh*t!!
Anyway Just a quick question on this power supply...

I've got one of these and its quite noisy. It sounds like the fan is running at about 80% all the time, idle or load doesn't matter. Anyone know where the temp sensor is inside? maybe its moved? The Noise is almost all air moving and the exhaust air is cold so it seems that the PSU fan is running faster than it should...

P.S. I've already had a sneaky look inside so my warrant is already void. and I'll stick a resistor to the fan if needed..

update:
I had another look inside and the temp sensor is safely attached to the largest heat sink. I have turned the PSU upsidedown now and that's stopped some of the noise which was a kind of "whirring" in the gap between the fan and the floor of the case, but the PSU is still the loudest thing in my rig..
I wonder if its worth throwing a resistor into the fan line? Anybody done it?
gijoe50000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

You could do. You just need to make sure it can handle the fan't power running through it. For a fan that draws 0.25A at 12V, it would have to be rated for at least 3 watts (or ideally more). I'm not too sure exactly what resistance you would want. You'd have to experiment with that one. For obvious reasons, don't go too high, or the PSU will cook.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
gijoe50000

Join Date Oct 2013

The fan draws 0.44A. Sounds a bit high, I have a 140mm fan lying around thats rated at only 0.18A. Wonder could I throw that in?
From
http://www.blackfiveservices.co.uk/f...=0.44&Target=7

it seems I'd need a 20 Ohm resistor to get down to 7V and a resistor capable of dissipating at least 2W. Might give that a go later if I can find a suitable resistor...
Old 10-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Try dropping your other fan in first. Some of those ADDA fans can get a little loud when run close to full speed.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
gijoe50000

Join Date Oct 2013

Right so this is what I've done at the moment,

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I removed the ADDA fan and the cover, and just sat my 140mm Storm Stryker fan on top. I've connected the 3 pin connection to the 4 pin system fan header on my mobo which seems to be running it at either 5V or 7V not sure which, but its running around 650-700 RPM and totally silent. The ADDA fan was doing my head in at 12V!

Going to keep an eye on it for a while to see what if the temp is ok before I run Prime or anything like that. Plan B is to connect to the fan controller on the case if needs be. before I throw the cover back on.

I'd like to have it connected to a temp sensor for that extra security and I know messing with PSU's can be dodgy, but to hell with it!!!

Any thoughts, tips or abuse is welcome.. :-)
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread