Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 05-24-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
tj11

Join Date May 2011
tj11 is on a distinguished road

Default Foxconn M61PMV and Phenom II X4 955 be

Hi there,

I have the M61PMV (old crappy mobo I know) and wanted to make one final CPU upgrade before I started a new build.

The compatibility list for my my mobo states that my new Phenom II X4 955 is supported but even with the latest BIOS update, CPU-z shows it to be locked at 800mhz.

I have disabled COOl+QUIET in in the BIOS as I'm aware this can cause the clock to be hiked back.

Is my processor ACTUALLY supported or are FOXCONN publishing false info on their support pages?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tj11; 05-25-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: typo
tj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Can it be that CPU-Z reads the wrong value? 800MHz seems like your RAM clock...
What does your BIOS say?

/Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
tj11

Join Date May 2011

It's definitly the CPU clock. I have flahed the the latest P10 BIOS update and loaded optimized defaults. However CPU-z and still shows the clock to be 803.7 with x4.0 multiplyer. This low speed is reflected in my Windows Experience Index which has dropped from 6.1 to 3.7.

System Information in Control Panel displays the Phenom processor as : AMD Phenom(tm) X4 955 Processor 803 mhz

BIOS is set to auto detect.

Is there anything else I can try?

Last edited by tj11; 05-25-2011 at 02:03 AM. Reason: wrong info
Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Interesting...

Totally haphazardly, a colleague of mine is about to do a similar upgrade to the one you've done (a new CPU on an AM2+ mobo with nVidia chipset). He found some forum where lots of users had done that upgrade, and it does take some fiddling to get it right.

The key is to not just install the new BIOS and think you're done, but to after installation of the BIOS also clear the CMOS (using the jumper on the motherboard), not once but a couple of times. Also power the computer completely off (not the PSU in stand-by, but no power at all) and on a couple of times, making sure all capacitors are completely discharged between each start.

Then the CPU should run as advertised.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
tj11

Join Date May 2011

Cheers for the advice! Will give it a try.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Can you please post the CPU-Z screenshots?

Thanks,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
tj11

Join Date May 2011

Screenshots:

Incidentally I tried resetting the CMOS a couple of times as advised by Olle P but it's still the same as you can see.

Last edited by tj11; 05-25-2011 at 09:16 AM. Reason: change image host
Old 05-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
tj11

Join Date May 2011

I am able to change the clock multiplayer to 16.0x in the BIOS but this results in what appears to be an unstable overclock, with any attempt to run programs that would use the full CPU speed causing Windows to freeze within a few minutes of attempting said processing.

Surely there must be a way to get my mobo to natively support this clock speed without having to (unstably) set it manually?

I'm all out of ideas.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Tenshi

Join Date Feb 2014
Tenshi is on a distinguished road

I know this post is old, but after weeks of searching for more information about this topic I
I haven't been able to find anything! So in hope to help others that might come across this topic.... The processor shown in his CPU Z pics is a 125w processor " Revision RB-C3" And the MOBO Foxconn M61PMV can only handle a 95w CPU! I will be testing out the 95w AMD Phenom II x4 955 on this MOBO Friday! And I will post results on this topic!
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #10
Tenshi

Join Date Feb 2014
Tenshi is on a distinguished road

Ok so I finally got the 95w AMD Phenom II x4 955 in yesterday! I booted up the bios and it showed the CPU name, the multiplier was set at x4, allowing all the way up to x19, but no matter if you try and change it it still remains at x4, after booting into win 7 I found that only two cores were being powered! I will post some pics of CPU z later, but the overall test show that even the 95w processor is not supported by this board!
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread