Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Intel Smart Response Technology Explained

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Intel Smart Response Technology Explained
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Explained/1292

Here is a snippet:
"Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) is designed to bridge the middle ground between traditional mechanical hard drives and solid state drives by combining the two. Although high capacity SSDs are qu..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
klinc

Join Date Dec 2010
klinc is on a distinguished road

Is this like a hybrid? The same as the one Seagate released?
I7-2600k @4.8Ghz | ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME 3-Way SLI | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1867mhz CL8 10-9-24 1T 1.600V | 3x Zotac Gtx580 SLI | OCZ Vertex 2 SF 180gb | 2x Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1Tb Raid-0 | CORSAIR AX1200 | Thermalright Silver Arrow | Antec 1200 |
3DMARK11
klinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is a hybrid *technology*, not a hybrid *product*. The technology uses a small SSD (up to 64 GB) as a cache of the main hard drive. The software monitors the programs and data you use the most and cache them in the SSD. Together with the technology, Intel is releasing a 20 GB SLC SSD at USD 110, the Intel 311 Series.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
Joe

Join Date Jul 2011
Joe is on a distinguished road

Default Mirroring with SRT

I'm looking into if I should get Smart Response Technology with my next system. If I do, the setup will be the physical HD and SSD making up the SRT. I would also use an additional second physical HD for data storage.

My main concern is mirroring. I make an image of my primary hard drive with all of my settings and applications and so forth so that I can revert to it easily in the event of a virsus or spyware. I use the Paragon software program for this purpose which makes an exact image of my primary hard drive to a removable hard drive.

So now with SRT, would I still be able to do this?

A second more minor question: The motherboard I am planning to get has 2 SATA III connectors and several SATA II connectors. I was thinking of getting both of my hard drives to be SATA III to take adavantage of it. But then if I use a SATA II SSD for the SRT, is it going to slow down my system? If so, how much? I could pay considerably more (like I think around $150 to $200) to get a different motherboard with 4 SATA III connectors and a SATA III SSD. But is it worth it?

Thank you for any help you can provide on this!!!!!

Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
My main concern is mirroring. ... So now with SRT, would I still be able to do this?
Principally yes. If I'm not mistaken SRT works like a bastard version of RAID 1.
If you can mirror a RAID 1 disk there should be no problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I was thinking of getting both of my hard drives to be SATA III to take adavantage of it. But then if I use a SATA II SSD for the SRT, is it going to slow down my system?
HDDs can't even make full use of SATA II, so this won't slow the system down.
The one bottleneck that might come into play is if you use an SSD with too low write speed, which is a concern with low capacity MLC disks. Therefore I'd recommend using either a somewhat higher capacity (100MB minimum) MLC or a smaller SLC disk.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #6
Joe

Join Date Jul 2011
Joe is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #7
bingel

Join Date Apr 2012
bingel is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone.
I'm interested in Intel Smart Response technology because I read that it includes PUIS technology (Power Up in Standby) supported by Western Digital Hard Drives.
The motherboard I want to buy is a Supermicro X9SAE based on C216 chipset, which supports Intel Rapid Sorage, which, in turn, should include Intel Smart Response (then I inferred from just that if it is true that Intel Rapid Storage includes Intel Smart Response, this MB should implement also support for Smart Response (but obviously I'm not sure).
Therefore, the problem is that I'm not sure if what I read is completely true or not, and whether all the specifications of the Intel Rapid Storage is supported or not by Supermicro X9SAE (that is, if the products needs to implement, for example, an adequate bios that fully supports such technology with all its features).
Anyone able to help me?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bingel; 03-04-2013 at 05:16 AM.
bingel is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread