Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default MSI 990FXA-GD80 Motherboard

There has been a new article posted.

Title: MSI 990FXA-GD80 Motherboard
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...therboard/1307

Here is a snippet:
"So far, MSI has released only two motherboards based on the new AMD 990FX chipset, one for the top mainstream market (990FXA-GD65), and one for the high-end market (990FXA-GD80). Let's take a look at ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

Just today I decided I was finished waiting, and ordered the Asus 990FX Sabertooth. I looked at the details of MSI's offerings on their site, and just wasn't impressed. For $5 less (Newegg pricing), you give up two years of warranty, SLI, and an assortment of ports. That's obviously a really bad deal.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

Doesn't the 990 chip supports HT 3.1 technology whereas the 890 chip supports HT 3.0?
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Quotes from the review:

"The AMD 990FX chipset is basically an AMD 890FX chipset with a new name. There are no new features."
"The AMD 990FX chipset is a two-chip solution. The south bridge chip is an SB950 chip, which is a renamed SB850."
"So, even though the chipset is the same, 890FX motherboards won’t support this new generation of AMD processors."

Given the statements are correct (I'm not questioning them) for all the grief Intel receives due to changing CPU sockets, we are seeing the same bottom line here from AMD, new CPU, new mother board. So much for the backwards compatibility of AMD CPUs and their mother boards.

The same CPU socket and chipset features, with the only updates to the chipset for the new CPU, why does this feel worse than Intel's new CPU requirements? Sure the AMD chipset is good, but no new features? While Intel has moved on to the integrated one-chip chipset, AMD still uses two chips. Are there any new AMD chipsets on the horizon?

Quote from the HS Bulldozer Architecture article:

"So while AMD will call a CPU that has one of these modules a “dual-core” CPU, in reality the CPU isn’t true a dual-core product, because there aren’t two complete and complete (separate?) CPUs inside the product. The “dual-core” name in this case will be used for marketing purposes, to make sure the consumer understands that although this Bulldozer-based CPU isn’t a true “dual-core” model, it should perform like one."

That is... interesting. I sure hope AMD's new CPUs are competitive, they've been able to see their target all along so they really don't have any excuses.
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
Quotes from the review:

"The AMD 990FX chipset is basically an AMD 890FX chipset with a new name. There are no new features."
"The AMD 990FX chipset is a two-chip solution. The south bridge chip is an SB950 chip, which is a renamed SB850."
"So, even though the chipset is the same, 890FX motherboards won’t support this new generation of AMD processors."

Given the statements are correct (I'm not questioning them) for all the grief Intel receives due to changing CPU sockets, we are seeing the same bottom line here from AMD, new CPU, new mother board. So much for the backwards compatibility of AMD CPUs and their mother boards.

The same CPU socket and chipset features, with the only updates to the chipset for the new CPU, why does this feel worse than Intel's new CPU requirements? Sure the AMD chipset is good, but no new features? While Intel has moved on to the integrated one-chip chipset, AMD still uses two chips. Are there any new AMD chipsets on the horizon?

Quote from the HS Bulldozer Architecture article:

"So while AMD will call a CPU that has one of these modules a “dual-core” CPU, in reality the CPU isn’t true a dual-core product, because there aren’t two complete and complete (separate?) CPUs inside the product. The “dual-core” name in this case will be used for marketing purposes, to make sure the consumer understands that although this Bulldozer-based CPU isn’t a true “dual-core” model, it should perform like one."

That is... interesting. I sure hope AMD's new CPUs are competitive, they've been able to see their target all along so they really don't have any excuses.
Newer Bulldozer CPU's aren't Backward compatible but older AM3 CPU's will work in the new Socket AM3+ mobo's so I don't see your problem
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsec View Post
Quotes from the review:
The quoted statement isn't the entire truth.

Many of the older chipsets, including 890FX, can support FX processors on socket AM3 (after a BIOS update). (Much like some socket AM2+ motherboards support AM3 CPUs and AM2 motherboards support AM2+ CPUs.)
The possible issue can be related to CPU power supply. AMD doesn't guarantee that older motherboards will work with FX CPUs, but it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to tell which boards will work.
I also expect that there are one or two features (like the new "Turbo") of the FX CPUs that won't be fully functional with older chipsets.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
Doesn't the 990 chip supports HT 3.1 technology whereas the 890 chip supports HT 3.0?
AMD sent me an email explaining that the 990FX is simply a renamed 890FX, and no modifications were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
The quoted statement isn't the entire truth.

Many of the older chipsets, including 890FX, can support FX processors on socket AM3 (after a BIOS update). (Much like some socket AM2+ motherboards support AM3 CPUs and AM2 motherboards support AM2+ CPUs.)
The possible issue can be related to CPU power supply. AMD doesn't guarantee that older motherboards will work with FX CPUs, but it's up to the motherboard manufacturers to tell which boards will work.
I also expect that there are one or two features (like the new "Turbo") of the FX CPUs that won't be fully functional with older chipsets.

Cheers
Olle
That is correct. Socket AM3+ CPUs have new power requirements.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
klinc

Join Date Dec 2010
klinc is on a distinguished road

Would've loved to see it tested on AMD's new CPU, though.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 06-15-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: bad spelling
I7-2600k @4.8Ghz | ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME 3-Way SLI | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1867mhz CL8 10-9-24 1T 1.600V | 3x Zotac Gtx580 SLI | OCZ Vertex 2 SF 180gb | 2x Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1Tb Raid-0 | CORSAIR AX1200 | Thermalright Silver Arrow | Antec 1200 |
3DMARK11
klinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinc View Post
Would've loved to see it tested on AMD's new CPU, though.
These CPUs were not launched yet.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #10
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
Newer Bulldozer CPU's aren't Backward compatible but older AM3 CPU's will work in the new Socket AM3+ mobo's so I don't see your problem
My observations are zero apparent changes to the chipset, which could have been improved in capabilities or features. I suppose I am accustomed to Intel's never ending changes and evolution of their chipsets, so the difference catches my attention. Regardless, this does not impress me.

Also, this "isn't a true dual core model" architecture which is being labeled as dual core for "marketing reasons" (AMD's words) which "should perform like one" certainly catches my attention. Perhaps it will be just fine or even better than a true dual core, but IMO the controversy over this has not yet begun, and I would not be surprised if the attorneys working for that other company are preparing some paper work regarding this right now.

OTOH, AMD may be missing an opportunity to market this as an evolution in CPU architecture, but their current statements sound more like an apology, and a nod towards pacifying the ignorant masses, rather than kindling interest in enthusiasts.
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread