Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default The Art of Tweaking

There has been a new article posted.

Title: The Art of Tweaking
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Tweaking/1337

Here is a snippet:
"Overclocking has always been somewhat of a taboo to a majority of users whether it is voiding the warranty, overworking the components (that can potentially damage if incorrectly done), or just plai..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
LuckyDucky

Join Date May 2010
LuckyDucky is on a distinguished road

Well, better overclocking will come when the processor companies (esp. Intel) stop clock-blocking the budget-sector enthusiasts.

For example: the i3-2xxx series.

That processor probably would wind to 4.5 GHz naturally as the i5 and i7 lines do- if the processor didn't have the dividers locked (even just the dividers being unlocked as they've been for the past 10+ years would allow this).
It's also a simple design modification- it doesn't require a complex change in the clock generator on the processor.

Yet they would charge more for the same processor for, quite simply, the chance that the processor will run faster. (Yes, I know it's got the HD3000 graphics instead of the 2000 line but that's useless except for Quick Sync, and IMHO it's not worth the extra 20 off the top.)

But now, to actually overclock anything, I have to either go AMD (and even the 955BE pales in comparison to even an i3-2100), or stick with a previous generation P55/i3-530 (which at 4 GHz is comparable to the 2100 but taking more power and giving more heat).

It's always been simple to overclock, but when the ability to do that is removed...
LuckyDucky is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread