Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Thermal Compound Roundup - October 2011

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Thermal Compound Roundup - October 2011
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ober-2011/1396

Here is a snippet:
"Following up on our Thermal Compound Roundup - September 2011 review, we are adding five more thermal compounds to our roundup, for a total of 45 different models from Akasa, Antec, Arctic Cooling, Ar..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Cracker42

Join Date Oct 2011
Cracker42 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for doing a monthly review of CPU thermal compounds. A quick look on NewEgg's site and it's impossible to pick a product based on the information or even the user feedback. I know that testing has to be very tedious and time comsuming (boring) but since manufactures don't have any standards for product comparison it is up to the tech sites to do the testing and publishing of real usage of thermal compounds. I'm a tech myself and I try to make the best purchasing decisions for my clients and while a small item such as thermal compound won't usually make or break a computer's functionality it is great to see technical arcticles such as this so I can be sure I'm picking the right product when I need/want to overclock a cpu. Thank you for all your hard work and I look forward to 5 more products next month.
Cracker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker42 View Post
Thanks for doing a monthly review of CPU thermal compounds. A quick look on NewEgg's site and it's impossible to pick a product based on the information or even the user feedback. I know that testing has to be very tedious and time comsuming (boring) but since manufactures don't have any standards for product comparison it is up to the tech sites to do the testing and publishing of real usage of thermal compounds. I'm a tech myself and I try to make the best purchasing decisions for my clients and while a small item such as thermal compound won't usually make or break a computer's functionality it is great to see technical arcticles such as this so I can be sure I'm picking the right product when I need/want to overclock a cpu. Thank you for all your hard work and I look forward to 5 more products next month.
Cracker42,
You are welcome. This kind of comment make the effort worth. Thank you!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #4
Cracker42

Join Date Oct 2011
Cracker42 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad to see that you are including the room temperature and then showing the delta temperature so that the thermal compunds can be compared as equally as possible. Room temperatures can very greatly from summer to winter so the maximum temperature of the cpu under load can't be the sole criteria for choosing 1 thermal compound over another.

I assume you are using the same case, power supply, motherboard, etc. as you test 5 more products each month to keep the results equal to your tests at the beginning so no other external item can create more or less heat to skew the results. Deciding to run with the computer case's side panel off was a very good decision as we want to see the performance of the thermal compound and not whether the case you are using has poor/average/great air flow.

As always I know my cooling results will be different on every build based on my choice of cpu cooler, computer case (quantity, size, and locations of its fans), and other hardware installed such as video cards.

Thanks for the great thermal compound product testing.

Last edited by Cracker42; 10-18-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Cracker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

The way we test thermal componds is always the same, of course. You can see our methodology in the review itself:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-2011/1396/4
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
klinc

Join Date Dec 2010
klinc is on a distinguished road

I had to laugh at this lol
Quote:
This thermal compound comes with a finger condom that you can use to spread the thermal compound on the CPU.
I can imagine people making their own finger condoms lol.

A lot of people don't know really what thermal paste do. I'm still surprised to find people all over the web thinking its a coolant. Its for sucking the heatsink against the cpu as tight as possible. If they know that then they would also stop from dropping so much all over the cpu.

Gabriel I don't see toothpaste there lol

Last edited by klinc; 11-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
I7-2600k @4.8Ghz | ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME 3-Way SLI | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1867mhz CL8 10-9-24 1T 1.600V | 3x Zotac Gtx580 SLI | OCZ Vertex 2 SF 180gb | 2x Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1Tb Raid-0 | CORSAIR AX1200 | Thermalright Silver Arrow | Antec 1200 |
3DMARK11
klinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinc View Post
Gabriel I don't see toothpaste there lol
??? I wasn't the one that wrote this review. The toothpaste was analyzed here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-2011/1334/6
Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
klinc

Join Date Dec 2010
klinc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
??? I wasn't the one that wrote this review. The toothpaste was analyzed here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-2011/1334/6
You guys actually tested toothpaste loooooooool
people are always asking about toothpaste as a thermal. Never tried it lol
Thanks for debunking that idea. Now I got a link to throw around rather to explain for hours on one

One question. When I'm using the phone one here then using the pc later, I pick up strange characters the phone made when posting but cant see it at all when I'm on the phone. I corrected the top one but that quoted piece looks perfectly on it. On the pc it looks like something from a scrapbook.

Last edited by klinc; 11-04-2011 at 03:56 PM.
I7-2600k @4.8Ghz | ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME 3-Way SLI | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1867mhz CL8 10-9-24 1T 1.600V | 3x Zotac Gtx580 SLI | OCZ Vertex 2 SF 180gb | 2x Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1Tb Raid-0 | CORSAIR AX1200 | Thermalright Silver Arrow | Antec 1200 |
3DMARK11
klinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Please open a new thread in the correct forum for questions that are unrelated to the current thread. Thank you.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
neogen

Join Date Jun 2013
neogen is on a distinguished road

yes i totally brought this back from the dead.

can we get petroleum jelly, KY jelly, peanut butter, and an extended time test on the mayo since you did it with the toothpaste. im interested in results of the mayo after 12hrs or a couple days, for laughs of course.
neogen is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread