Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Getting Educated on the Status of PCI-E 3.0

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Getting Educated on the Status of PCI-E 3.0
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-PCI-E-30/1448

Here is a snippet:
"Recently, motherboard manufacturers have been fighting their hardest to differentiate their products from one another in an effort to re-invigorate the stagnant PC business. A lot of this messaging ha..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #2
Johnny Utah

Join Date Dec 2011
Johnny Utah is on a distinguished road

Thank you for making things a bit more "clear" about this technology. So, you need 3 things to ensure you are running with PCI-E3. You need a cpu capable (SB-E or IB), video card (AMD 7k series) and a motherboard that is capable. My question now is, will a mobo like the Rampage IV Extreme (x79 for SB-E) be able to make use of this?
Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

The X79/LGA2011 platform is natively compatible with PCI Express 3.0 and no external support is necessary.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Johnny Utah

Join Date Dec 2011

Gabriel, thanks for answering. So if I purchase an AMD 7970 (around Jan 9th when released) I will be able to run PCI Express 3 on my R4E x79 board? Sorry, I just want to make sure.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Yes, it will!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Johnny Utah

Join Date Dec 2011

I think I just wet myself. Thanks for the confirmation!!
Old 12-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Rajface

Join Date May 2011
Rajface is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I think I just wet myself. Thanks for the confirmation!!
Hi Johnny,

To clarify - the R4E X79 board has all the correct bridge chips to support multi-GPU Gen 3, but you still need the Ivy Bridge-E LGA2011 CPU to enable Gen 3 lines on your board.

The examples used in the editorial was to ensure that people who were in the market to buy Ivy Bridge 1155 for Z68 could have purchased a system now and be prepared for it.

You picked the right board, but now you need the CPU since Sandy Bridge-E removed PCI-Express 3 support in order to make its launch. There is speculation that a revision will add in support, but so far only Ivy Bridge-E 2011 CPUs have been officially listed to support it. Of course, this is all subject to change at Intel's discretion.

Last edited by Rajface; 12-14-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Rajface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Johnny Utah

Join Date Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajface View Post
Hi Johnny,

To clarify - the R4E X79 board has all the correct bridge chips to support multi-GPU Gen 3, but you still need the Ivy Bridge-E LGA2011 CPU to enable Gen 3 lines on your board.

The examples used in the editorial was to ensure that people who were in the market to buy Ivy Bridge 1155 for Z68 could have purchased a system now and be prepared for it.

You picked the right board, but now you need the CPU since Sandy Bridge-E removed PCI-Express 3 support in order to make its launch. There is speculation that a revision will add in support, but so far only Ivy Bridge-E 2011 CPUs have been officially listed to support it. Of course, this is all subject to change at Intel's discretion.
Interesting, either I misread what Gabriel had posted or I am not understanding. In a post earlier, it was stated that ALL Socket 2011 Sandy Bridge E chips (3960x and 3930k) have native support for PCI Express 3.0. So either Gabriel is wrong, you are wrong or I am misunderstanding. Refer to bottom post. Again, I am not trying to be dismissive or argumentative, I am getting conflicting info

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/blog/...Express-30/215

Last edited by Johnny Utah; 12-14-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Information
Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Rajface

Join Date May 2011
Rajface is on a distinguished road

Ok, so Sandy Bridge-E DOES in fact support the PCI-E 3.0 standard, but Intel is not officially claiming support until it can test with upcoming cards.

They WILL officially support it with Ivy Bridge (and Ivy Bridge-E) as that will coincide with the launch of PCI-E 3.0 video cards.

So it looks like Gabriel was technically correct based on the architecture design.
You'll be able to verify this once you can benchmark the card.
Rajface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

I believe Sandy Bridge E (LGA2011) is PCIe 3.0 compliant, but currently can't be tested as there are no PCIe 3.0 graphics cards on the market. And without tests, we can't really say if you'd get 100% performance or not. (Check Intel's datasheets)

The other point is whether PCIe 3.0 will actually produce significant improvements in graphics performance today or shine in the future. Bigger, more efficient bandwidth works best if it can be utilized. I think storage might benefit more from PCIe 3.0 than graphics.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread