Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
knightdredd

Join Date Dec 2011
Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines
knightdredd is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to knightdredd
Unhappy Need help building up my Gigabyte-M61PME-S2P F5

This is my first post.

Please help me in building up my Gigabyte-M61PME-S2P F5.

Here are it's current denizens.

CPU: Sempron 140
RAM: 2GB DDR2
HDD: 40GB IDE HDD; Just added 500GB SATA HDD
GRAPHICS: Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT
DISPLAY: BenQ G610HDAL 15.6 LED
PSU: 600W

That's all for now and I have finished Starcraft 2 and Civilization V in low settings.

Plays well with Sins of a Solar Empire Trinity.

I am currently playing Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim with it in low settings again .
Almost done with it to the part where you have to convene Empire and Stormcloaks to a truce with the Greybeards.

Thank you for any input in advance. The only good CPU that we have here in Cagayan de Oro City is the Athlon II X4 640. As for video cards, there are lots of good ones here.

I'm hoping you could help me build it up to a decent rig for the games that have ruled my life for now without changing the motherboard. Thanks and More Power!

Last edited by knightdredd; 12-28-2011 at 12:24 AM.
knightdredd is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

The Athlon II X4 640 is significantly more powerful than any Sempron CPU, although it is a Socket AM3, so you may need to update the BIOS.

For a graphics card, a 550 or 560Ti would more than likely do the job just fine.

My concern, though, is the power supply. What brand and model is it?

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

You will need to replace the video card and maybe the CPU. Probably the power supply as well, to be able to power the new video card and CPU.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
knightdredd

Join Date Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
The Athlon II X4 640 is significantly more powerful than any Sempron CPU, although it is a Socket AM3, so you may need to update the BIOS.

For a graphics card, a 550 or 560Ti would more than likely do the job just fine.

My concern, though, is the power supply. What brand and model is it?
Thank you Sir. The power supply is at 600W and is just one of those generic brands I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
You will need to replace the video card and maybe the CPU. Probably the power supply as well, to be able to power the new video card and CPU.
I am now planning to do just that. Thank you very much for the input as well Sir.

Last edited by knightdredd; 12-26-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Please keep us posted, it is always nice to see how your upgrade came along.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
knightdredd

Join Date Dec 2011

Updated the BIOS to F7B for now. I haven't really decided whether I'd go for an AM3 processor yet or stay on AM2+. Any suggestions?
Old 01-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #7
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

AM3 processors are typically better than AM2+ processors. I don't know what prices are where you live, so it's difficult to make suggestions because it usually comes down to price. If you could provide prices, I might be able to help.

In the US, prices are sort of like this:

Phenom II X4 (quad core) ~ $120
Athlon II X4 (quad core) ~ $100
Phenom II X3 (tri core) ~ $100
Phenom II X2 (dual core) ~ $90
Athlon II X3 ~ $80
Athlon II X2 ~ $65

An Athlon II X3 or X4 would probably be best. However, I should point out that older Athlon 64 X2s compare fairly similar to Athlon II X2 for gaming. The real difference is usually clockspeed. So if an Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 ghz is twice as much as an Athlon 64 X2 5800, then buy the 5800.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 AM   #8
knightdredd

Join Date Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
AM3 processors are typically better than AM2+ processors. I don't know what prices are where you live, so it's difficult to make suggestions because it usually comes down to price. If you could provide prices, I might be able to help.

In the US, prices are sort of like this:

Phenom II X4 (quad core) ~ $120
Athlon II X4 (quad core) ~ $100
Phenom II X3 (tri core) ~ $100
Phenom II X2 (dual core) ~ $90
Athlon II X3 ~ $80
Athlon II X2 ~ $65

An Athlon II X3 or X4 would probably be best. However, I should point out that older Athlon 64 X2s compare fairly similar to Athlon II X2 for gaming. The real difference is usually clockspeed. So if an Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 ghz is twice as much as an Athlon 64 X2 5800, then buy the 5800.
Thank you for the information Sir. This really helped!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #9
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

Also I might as well point out that for gaming a Phenom II dual core can beat an Athlon II quad core IF the game isn't optimized for quadcores (can only use two threads).

So priority for games usually goes as follows: Phenom II X4 > Phenom II X2 > Athlon II X4 > Athlon II X2. Switch the quad core with the Phenom dualcore if you're playing games like Farcry 2 and BF3 as they can take advantage of the additional cores.

Also higher clockspeeds help, which is why even an old Athlon 64 X2 @ 3.2 ghz can occasionally do well against a lower clocked Athlon II.

If you plan on using it for other things, a tri or quad core might be more useful.

Price-wise, an Athlon II X4 won't give you more than a maximum 25% performance boost for basically all games (and probably single digits for most) over a slightly higher clocked Athlon II X2. The price difference is 50-60% more though. If we set this as the 'benchmark' for price to performance, then you can pretty quickly figure out what is overpriced. (For example: if someone is selling an X4 for $200 and a X2 for $70, then 200/70 = 2.85 which is 185% price difference for a maximum 25% performance difference)

For a video card upgrade, I'd look for a 5750, 5770, 4850, 4870, 6770, 6750 or GeForce 450, 550. Even a less powerful GTS 250 or 5670 would provide a measurable boost over the 8600 GT. I used to own a 8600 GT until it started having serious issues and then switched to a 5770 (one of the best price/performance video cards in the US) and noticed I could actually play most games without having to lower the resolution and turn off most of the effects.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
knightdredd

Join Date Dec 2011

@C.W Sir this has totally changed my perspective! Thank you so much for all these. I have now a brighter horizon ahead of me in getting a stable and decent machine.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread