Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 650 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1472

Here is a snippet:
"The EarthWatts Platinum is the latest power supply series from Antec, and will be available in 450 W, 550 W, and 650 W versions, coming with the 80 Plus Platinum certification. This new series will re..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

Pretty nice. I'd like to see 4x PCIE power connectors at 650W, but just two is consistent with Earthwatts being a high quality but mainstream line.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
asilunde

Join Date Jul 2010
UK
asilunde is on a distinguished road

Interesting to see that they have included an MOV with this unit when they didn't with the FSP Aurum series.

Glad to see some Japanese capacitors in comparison to the Aurums. It looks to me like they have put the Japanese secondady capacitors out in the open, but put the CapXon secondary capacitors under the wiring. Which I think is strange choice.

On page 7 you have put
Quote:
Efficiency was between 88.9% and 92.6% during our tests, matching the values promised by the 80 Plus Bronze certification
when you meant to put Platinum.
asilunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks for pointing out this error. I am fixing it right now. And yes, I forgot to mention about the MOV, but you are absolutely right. The PCB is different from the Aurum series, even though the main components are similar.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I agree on only using Japanese caps. Using Taiwanese or Chinese caps only saves them like $0.50 per power supply and shortens their lifespan significantly. IMO, non-japanese capacitors should NEVER under ANY circumstanced be used in any device, period. I'd rather to pay an extra few dollars for the better caps.

Last edited by c.hegge; 01-20-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012
johndoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
IMO, non-japanese capacitors should NEVER under ANY circumstanced be used in any device, period.
Meh, you're overexaggerating. Also, being Japanese or non-Japanese isn't directly related to a capacitor being good or not. Toshin Kogyo was originally a Taiwanese brand, and those caps were just as good, if not better than their Japanese equivalents.

Teapo's are fine. Sure, they don't hold up their first day performance as long as NCC's do, but they just work for %99 of the people out there. If your unit is cooled well, and if you upgrade your PSU in every 2 years, there really isn't anything wrong with Teapo's at all.

Not everyone is using extremely overbuilt Delta units with Rubycon's. For most people, something like a ZX1000 (which is full of Teapo's) is more than fine.
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

TK are absoloute grabage (and it's short for Terrible Kapacitor ). I often have to replace bulged ones on 18 month old gear. (see Here if you want more bad experiences). Teapo do a bit better, but I still find them bulging and leaking in 2 and 3 year old power supplies very frequently. When better caps only cost 2 or 3 cents more, there's absoloutely no reason not to use them, especially in a more expensive product.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
TK are absoloute grabage (and it's short for Terrible Kapacitor ). I often have to replace bulged ones on 18 month old gear. (see Here if you want more bad experiences). Teapo do a bit better, but I still find them bulging and leaking in 2 and 3 year old power supplies very frequently. When better caps only cost 2 or 3 cents more, there's absoloutely no reason not to use them, especially in a more expensive product.
Specific issues exist, yes. If you look at it that way, then all Teapo's would be garbage since they had issues some 10 years ago. Toshin's are great caps for SMPS usage. Look at the Topower units that used them, they can last for a long long time.

As for Teapo's... well, then again it depends on the unit in question. Obviously Teapo's on a ****ty PSU = / = Teapo's on a Turbo-Cool.

I agree on Jap caps, but they're after your money, not your hardware. Just look at all those Creative cards with cheap Chinese Jamicon's. Now those are **** caps, not Teapo's. I tell people to stay away from them all the time, but who listens? They just want something that works. And when it fails, they RMA it then get an another one to fail again... it's not something we can do about.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

I should hope I don't need to upgrade my PSU every two years "just because"
there may be failing components in it. Of course, one of my PSUs is an "overbuilt Delta" (SG-650), and the other two were built by Seasonic.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
I should hope I don't need to upgrade my PSU every two years "just because"
there may be failing components in it. Of course, one of my PSUs is an "overbuilt Delta" (SG-650), and the other two were built by Seasonic
You don't have to. You don't understand PSU design or what a PWM frequency controller is. There're many things that can kill the caps aside from the caps itself. When he says Teapo's are ****, he isn't thinking of Teapo's in an Impervio. He's referring to the Teapo's he saw under many crappy HEC's, Sirtec's... you name it.

Teapo's last well longer than 2 years as long as they're cooled well. Those Turbo-Cool units have been kicking for the past 5 years. The only issue I can recall with Teapo's was in a Real Power Pro, which I haven't found if I hadn't gone down to recap mine. Those have a slow fan and the caps are stuck under cables of the modular connections, which make them overheat and eventually fail under some cases. Other than that, I can't recall any SOLID PSU's having issues with Teapo's.

As for your overbuilt Delta, if you look at the component selection and the overall built of it, you can easily notice it's built much better than your SeaSonic. The heavy duty transformer alone on those units can output 5-10 times the power the unit is rated for.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread