Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
Hardware Secrets Team
Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Which is the Best Place to Install a Case Fan?

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Which is the Best Place to Install a Case Fan?
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Case-Fan/1473

Here is a snippet:
"Nowadays, most cases have several places where you can put a fan. Supposing that you want to install only one fan on your computer, where is the best place to do it? Let's run some tests and find out...."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

Nice simple article that's easy to grasp. I'm curious if you'll continue these tests and gradually make them a bit more complex. For example, two fans! Or diminishing returns of temp vs noise?
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

In the next test, we will measure the video card temperature for different case fan configurations. Stay tuned for more rock'n'roll.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
shriganesh

Join Date Jan 2012
shriganesh is on a distinguished road

Default Thanks!

It's a good review! But instead of measuring just the CPU temp, additional components like GPU and HDD temp readings would have been very useful! From what I know HDDs are most sensitive to temp changes rather than CPU/GPU!

I currently keep my case side open and have a mini table-fan cooling my rig! My room temps would be around 28 to 34 C. My HDDs would do 32 to 34 C, with an open case + FAN. If I close my case and enable front+rear+side fans, HDDs would do 37 to 40 C!

Last edited by shriganesh; 01-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.
shriganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

We will publish another article, testing GPU, HDD and motherboard temperatures.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

The only eyebrow raiser in this article is the efficiency of a single front fan.
For the type of computer hardware used in the test I'd pick a case with the PSU on top, eliminating the need for a separate fan.

For the future tests it would also be nice to see what happens when meshed areas are shut off to direct the airflow to parts where it's needed.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
shriganesh

Join Date Jan 2012

@Rafael Coelho
Thanks! Will wait for it

@Olle P
I think keeping the PSU on top would reduce the efficiency! As hot air inherently rises up and a PSU on top would completely obstruct it! Also I think a fan to push the heat away from PSU on top would increase the efficiency.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

A top-mounted PSU pulls its air from the top of the case and exhausts it, there's no obstruction. The PSU itself may not be cooled as well, but a quality PSU won't sweat the difference.
I liked the article. While somewhat intuitively obvious so far, it's still nice to see it actually tested and shown to be true.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
shriganesh

Join Date Jan 2012

Yeah. Top mounted PSU's components wouldn't be cooled in an optimized fashion, which in turn would decrease efficiency of the PSU.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #10
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriganesh View Post
I think keeping the PSU on top would reduce the efficiency! As hot air inherently rises up and a PSU on top would completely obstruct it! Also I think a fan to push the heat away from PSU on top would increase the efficiency.
I think that the natural convection inside a computer is often severely overrated! Even the weakest fan will counter it without any problems, if so desired.

The PSU on top will allow the PSU fan to cool the entire computer without a need for any additional case fans. This was the standard setup for tower style computers pretty much up until the power hungry Prescott CPUs took the stage, and will provide more than sufficient cooling for computers that don't generate lots of heat.

Since the PSU will be fed lukewarm air the fan will have to spin slightly faster, increasing the noise and very marginally decreasing PSU efficiency.

A second fan removing heated air at the PSU intake will, as I know by experience, only add problems. The result is a "fight" for the available air, forcing both fans to work harder and noisier with a very limited effect on CPU cooling.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread