Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default AMD Radeon HD 7950 Video Card Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: AMD Radeon HD 7950 Video Card Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...rd-Review/1479

Here is a snippet:
"The new Radeon HD 7950, which is being released today, is a more affordable version of the Radeon HD 7970. Let's check its performance and see if it is a good choice for users looking for a high-end v..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
wtouristo

Join Date Jan 2011
wtouristo is on a distinguished road

A very informative review.
My feeling is though this is a very good new card the HD6970/6950 has good life in it yet.
Thanks!
wtouristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
michaelahess

Join Date Apr 2010
michaelahess is on a distinguished road

I think I'll be buying a 6970 soon as the prices settle a few weeks on the 7950, seems just about as fast if not slightly faster right now. I'm sure the 7 series will get faster with driver tweaks, but for the $150 or so difference that exists right now? 6970 is the price/performance champ!
michaelahess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

This review is certainly one of the more interesting reviews I've seen lately.

The 7950 basically goes toe to toe with the 6970 in most of your gaming benchmarks. The GTX 580 meanwhile gets trumped very slightly in some and wins very slightly in others.

Now the point of interest isn't so much the 7950/GTX580 comparison (which seems to be where AMD targeted the GPU at) but more surprisingly the 6970 basically keeping up with the 580. Back in the original review, you said the 6970 was good against the 570!

Deciding to see if this was the trend with other reviews, I check the ever popular Tom's Hardware 7950 review.
The story here was different with the 6970 being bested by the 7950 and 580.

So I hope over to AnandTech (another popular tech site) and check their review Once again, the 6970 is solidly beaten by both the 7950 and GTX580.

Now here's the crazy thing. Both Tom's and Anand had OC versions of the same CPU Gabriel used, yet their FPS were lower! In theory, a higher clocked CPU would provide better (very slightly) performance- yet, HS's benched with a lower clocked CPU and got better performance on the 6970!

Adding a bit more to this mystery is that Tom's couldn't get MediaExpresso to work, while HS seemed to get it to work fine.

Am I missing something here? The builds don't look significantly different enough to affect performance the way the results show. Is the 6970 a lot more powerful than review sites are actually giving it credit for (general perception is that the 6970 is around/below a GTX570)?
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Interesting indeed. You have to compare the resolutions and image quality settings. Please notice that the CPU makes no impact on the graphics performance when using high-end video cards. Therefore, using a different CPU or an overclocked one won't impact results.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012
johndoe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
Is the 6970 a lot more powerful than review sites are actually giving it credit for (general perception is that the 6970 is around/below a GTX570)?
The 6970 isn't a lot more powerful than it already is. It's about as fast as a 480 at stock. Though, some 6970's (like reference or Lightning) OC wonderfully. They OC much more than a reference 570, which is plagued with ****ty VRM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
the CPU makes no impact on the graphics performance when using high-end video cards. Therefore, using a different CPU or an overclocked one won't impact results.
This is incorrect. You can't just say this for every case. If I'm looking to play GMOD, then CPU would have a massive impact on that. If Crysis, then, CPU wouldn't have much of an impact since the CryEngine is GPU dependant. But the Source Engine of GMOD is very CPU intensive. So it depends.
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread