Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Power

Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Luke

Join Date Feb 2012
Italy
Luke is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair HX750 goes into protection mode with 5850 CF

Hello everybody
This is the first time I've written here though I've been reading Hardware Secrets on a daily basis since 2008. I want to congratulate Gabriel Torres and his stuff for their first rate work in analyzing and reviewing power supplies.

Well, here's my story: two and a half years ago I bought a Corsair HX750, after reading Gabriel's review. I needed a power supply for my two 4870's because my 600W Enermax Noisetaker2 would shut down the system as soon as the 3D clocks of the graphics cards kicked in. No problem with the HX750 at that time, that fed the two 4870's for two years. I also used two GTX 260's for some time.
The rest of the configuration is: Asrock X58 Xtreme3, 6GB of RAM, i7 940 at 4.0GHz, two Laing DCC350, several fans, lights and hard disks. Recently I have switched to two 5850's, after testing each one of them for a few weeks on different rigs with different power supplies. So I put them under water with a dedicated 2*120 radiator leaving the stock VRM and VRAM cooler on, like this:

They have never gone above 37C/99F. They have no sensors for the VRM but I think they're just fine with the stock cooling plate and fan.

The problem is that with Crysis (that uses up both the GPU's at 100%) or Furmark the PC shuts itself off after about 5 minutes. To be able to turn it back on I have to unplug the power cord from the wall an wait several minutes before I can turn the computer on again. I measured the system absorption of this scenario with one CPU core being utilized and the wall tester reads about 450W with 220V alternate current. With the 4870's under Furmark and Linx on I would hit 650W with no issues.

Since the 5850's on full load have an absorption that is similar or lower than a CF of 4870's or a SLI of 260's, does this mean that the PSU is gone?
If something was wrong with the GPU's I should have experienced blue screens or reboots but not forced shut downs as it is happening, is that correct?

Thank you for your help

Last edited by Luke; 02-04-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012
johndoe is on a distinguished road

Well, technically, your unit isn't "gone". If it was indeed "gone", then you wouldn't have been able to use it. When a PSU goes to heaven, it usually shoots down the caps, which make it not function anymore.

Though, your problem could be related to PSU since it's shutting down right after getting loaded. Is your machine stable?

Anyway, personally, I'd ditch that unit since it's 2.5 year old anyway. Just get a better PSU.
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Luke

Join Date Feb 2012
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoe View Post
Well, technically, your unit isn't "gone". If it was indeed "gone", then you wouldn't have been able to use it. When a PSU goes to heaven, it usually shoots down the caps, which make it not function anymore.

Though, your problem could be related to PSU since it's shutting down right after getting loaded. Is your machine stable?

Anyway, personally, I'd ditch that unit since it's 2.5 year old anyway. Just get a better PSU.
Yeah, I meant "not reliable any longer" The overclock of the CPU, is stable, I haven't touched the bios since last August, when I picked the right bios to use, and had no blue screens ever since.

Corsair gives a warranty of 5 years on their PSU's. I don't have the means to test the unit in a professional way (I saw that someone uses those testers that fit right between the MoBo and the 24-pin cable) unless I buy the right tester. What can I do to ask for an RMA? Should I just tell them that it worked fine with two 4870's but not with two 5850's, when it should be able to give power to 2 GTX 480's?

Last edited by Luke; 02-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
johndoe

Join Date Jan 2012
johndoe is on a distinguished road

Screw it IMO, those (CWT DSG {HX750/850}) units aren't worthwhile. They use metal scraps as heatsinks, which make them get hot (70c peak at full load). Caps aren't cooled well, which could be the reason why yours gave up.

Get a Be Quiet DPP 750. Those are great units.
johndoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

According to Guru3D, a 5850 plus a high end rig will draw ~350w +170w per additional card (520w for 2way Xfire). A 2way Xfire using 4870 drew ~480w using a less powerful CPU (CORE2 @ 3.0mhz). So it's kind of hard to compare exactly, but it looks like they draw roughly similar amounts.

I guess you could check to see if your PSU isn't doing so well by dropping the 4870s back in and performing the same tests again.

Upgrading to a higher wattage PSU probably wouldn't hurt though.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Luke

Join Date Feb 2012
Italy

Thanks for your comments guys. Does anyone know what I should do to ask for RMA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Corsair gives a warranty of 5 years on their PSU's. [...] What can I do to ask for an RMA? Should I just tell them that it worked fine with two 4870's but not with two 5850's, when it should be able to give power to 2 GTX 480's?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Just fill out the online form and ship the unit to them:

http://www.corsair.com/support/technicalsupport/
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
Luke

Join Date Feb 2012
Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
Just fill out the online form and ship the unit to them:

http://www.corsair.com/support/technicalsupport/
Thanks Request sent
Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Luke

Join Date Feb 2012
Italy

Corsair sent me a new, perfectly working HX750!
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Luke, thanks for posting a follow-up to this issue, it is much appreciated, as other users will now know what to do if they face a similar problem.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread