Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Intel SSD 520 Series 240 GB Solid State Drive Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Intel SSD 520 Series 240 GB Solid State Drive Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ve-Review/1484

Here is a snippet:
"There are a vast number of SATA-600 solid state drives on the market at the moment, so there have never been more choices for the people who want to give their system a performance boost. Today we are..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Ckmi1

Join Date Feb 2012
Ckmi1 is on a distinguished road

The Speed on SSDs is fantastic, but the product is unreliable
Ckmi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmi1 View Post
The Speed on SSDs is fantastic, but the product is unreliable
How is the product unreliable if it hasn't been released retail-wise yet?
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #4
Ckmi1

Join Date Feb 2012
Ckmi1 is on a distinguished road

Cool Experience

The 4 SSDs Iíve seen from 4 different manufactures
2 have stop working within six months.
1 has had the OS reloaded after four months due to problems.
The last one boot time is so slow the user wanted to replace the SSD with a Hard Drive to prevent losing there data.
Why will this item be any different? Were there measurements of speed and data dropout preformed at the start and end of the test and how many days was this test?
Iím only going by experience. Iím not going buy a device for over $400 from a set of quick test shows that do not show that this device will be as fast and reliable after a month or two.
Last Comments: Why is there only manufacture making Hybrid Drive?
Why is Intel creating hardware and software to make SSDs and Hard Drives work together as a Hybrid Drive?
Ckmi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The 4 SSDs Iíve seen from 4 different manufactures
It would be great if you could post the manufacturers and models.

Quote:
Why is there only manufacture making Hybrid Drive?
Err... There are only three desktop hard disk drive manufacturers in the world now, Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi... All others are gone. (Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division -- probably they believe SSD is the future.)
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
parsec

Join Date Jul 2010
parsec is on a distinguished road

Great review, thanks, and a good idea to include the 510 for comparison. Speaking of the 510, I'm confused by the conclusions from the HD Tune tests. I don't understand why the Average speed of the 510 is slightly lower than the 520 and the Kingston, since given the results for the 510 in the bar graph, it's minimum speed is way above the others, and the rest of the 510's results were close to the others. What am I missing?

Regarding SSD reliability, I own 13 SSDs from four manufactures. I've never had the slightest problem with any of them, they've all worked flawlessly for me. I've used them usually as OS drives, and in RAID volumes, as scratch drives for downloads, in PC platforms from socket 775, 1366, to 1155. I don't secure erase and reinstall the OS constantly, or baby them besides the well known differences in maintenance, such as not running de-fragmentation programs. I use Windows 7 so have TRIM helping them maintain themselves, always in AHCI mode or RAID, both with the IRST drivers.

I should say that none of these SSDs use the SandForce controllers, although I don't see that as the reason for my success. Anytime I add or remove a SSD from a PC, I always perform a full BIOS clear (via jumper), reset my BIOS settings, boot the PC and allow the drives to be detected by the BIOS and my BIOS settings to become active, and reboot again before allowing the OS to load. I find I then rarely if ever have Windows requesting a reboot to "... apply these changes". I've wondered if the reason why laptop users tend to have more issues with SSDs than desktop PCs, is because a "hard" BIOS clear on many laptops is difficult, or impossible.
parsec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
It would be great if you could post the manufacturers and models.

Err... There are only three desktop hard disk drive manufacturers in the world now, Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi... All others are gone. (Seagate bought Samsung's HDD division -- probably they believe SSD is the future.)
Didn't WD buy Hitachi's (IBM's) HDD department?

Quote:
Iím only going by experience. Iím not going buy a device for over $400 from a set of quick test shows that do not show that this device will be as fast and reliable after a month or two.
Longitudinal studies tend to be very expensive and time consuming. For instance, setting up a decent SSD reliability study would require a fairly large sample size (we'll say N=30 per category) and a long period of time (we'll say 12 months). So just to set this up, you'd need tens of thousands of dollars to buy the equipment and pay someone to run the test. It would be a worthwhile study to perform, but not a lot of people with that kind of time and money.

Most realistic data on HDD and SSD failure rates can be found from large data servers that have large amounts of HDDs and SSDs in use 24/7. From what I've heard, they use Intel SSDs.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
Didn't WD buy Hitachi's (IBM's) HDD department?
Yes, yes, yes! So there are only two manufacturers still alive!

Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
Yes, yes, yes! So there are only two manufacturers still alive!

Gabriel.
Yeah I find it kind of funny when people are like "I like HDD brand X over Y" and both brands are owned by the same company. (I think the Hitachi to WD will be this year, so there's two plus one on the way out)

I think Toshiba still makes them... just not for home users.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread