Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Other > Other Issues

Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
smitty1

Join Date Feb 2012
smitty1 is on a distinguished road

Default Dell 8300, I want to upgrade the video card, sound card, and RAM

Thanks in advance for any and all responses. I have been reading/searching this site and decided to join and get some advice/answers to a few questions I have.
I have a 7 year old dell 8300, works fine. I am wanting to upgrade the video card, sound card, and ram. My current setup is as follows:

3.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 0' has 256 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 0' has 256 MB Want to get 3 -1 gig sticks
Slot 'CHANNEL A DIMM 1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'CHANNEL B DIMM 1' is Empty

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
I run dual monitors, and have recently purchased a tv and want to connect to the computer via HDMI, and thought the following card would do the job?
Wanting this card:
HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Native HDMI 1 GB DDR3 AGP Graphics Card (H467QS1GHA)

Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)
Game Port for SB Live! Series
Wanting this card:
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

And my PSU is 230 watt -Dell. i have measured the psu and it is standard ATX size, my question/concern is the fan on mine is on the left side, plug in on the right side, after looking at many PSU's i am getting more confused. I have found a few that i think will work, then i thought ask on this forum and most likely someone else has done this before? I was thinking about a 600 watt or bigger , just to make sure its big enough to handle the upgrades as mentioned above, what do you think, any specific brands/models of PSU's? Am i good to go with the cards and memory listed above?
Again, thanks in advance
Mark
smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Ah, yes. those Hell Dementia clamshell cases. I had to replace a PSU on those once, and ended up using a Thermaltake XP550NP "430W" (yes, I know, it's not a good PSU) and removing the on/off rocker switch.

Trying to run a HD4670 on a 230W PSU wouldn't be advisable. To upgrade, you'll have to find a unit with the power plug in the same position as your current power supply, or modify the case and cut out a propper space for a better power supply.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread