Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 02-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
johnmcc123

Join Date Feb 2012
johnmcc123 is on a distinguished road

Default Case recommendation for non-gaming PC

I am building a pc for general home use. I used to purchase Dell machines but due to their decline in quality I decided to start building my own pc's again.

I use the pc for web, email, editing home videos, working with music files, and watching movies. I don't play video games. I just dont have the time.

I am trying to decide which pc case to buy but there are so many to choose from. The last time I built a pc was back in my college days in the early 1990's. I have learned PC cases have changed quite a bit since then. I wasn't prepared to think about fans, fan controllers, filters, flashing lights, etc...

My pc will consist of:

ATX motherboard (with usb ports, ethernet port, integrated sound), Intel I7 processor, 8 gigs of ram, basic video card with 1 gig memory, Seasonic 750W PS, about 1 - 6 internal 3.5 HDD's to hold large movie files, CD drive, Blu Ray drive, and 1 128gig SSD drive to run Windows 7, MS Office, and any other apps I use alot.

I'm thinking about getting a full tower case to hold the many hard drives and I can spend up to $200 for the case but I don't think I need a gaming case with air filters, a bunch of fans, flashing lights, etc....

Can you guys recommend a case that will meet my needs without going overboard?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
johnmcc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
wtouristo

Join Date Jan 2011
wtouristo is on a distinguished road

Fractal Design does some well regarded cases, Silverstone, and Lian Li imediately come to mind.
How many hard drives? You are aware of the inflated HDD prices due to Thai flooding?
wtouristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
johnmcc123

Join Date Feb 2012
johnmcc123 is on a distinguished road

Default HDD Prices?

I ordered an antec 302 for my pc case. Looked like a good case for what I need. What's the deal with HDD prices? I have several HDD's already but I haven't heard anything about increased prices....

Just looked at HDD prices on Newegg. What happened? Will prices go back down anytime soon? Looked like 1TB drives went from around $100 to $160... Has this affected SSD'd?
johnmcc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcc123 View Post
Just looked at HDD prices on Newegg. What happened? Will prices go back down anytime soon? Looked like 1TB drives went from around $100 to $160... Has this affected SSD'd?
Floods in Thailand last year, when factories were shut down. Most HDD components are manufactured in Thailand. This didn't affect SSDs since SSDs use a completely different technology (flash memory).
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread