Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > CPUs

View Poll Results: Sorry, I did not know what this option was until now. I have nothing to poll.
x1 0 0%
x2 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
captainsky

Join Date Feb 2012
captainsky is on a distinguished road

Arrow I need to purchase a CPU for a 775 socket MB

Greetings,

While cleaning the inside of my computer, I inadvertently crossed two wires when I was finishing up the project resulting in a burnt smell and smoke arose from my desktop computer when I powered it up. As to where the smoke and smell I cannot say for sure even though side panels where off, though it did not come from the direction of the PSU, which was the first causality from my error.

Through some help on another site (Protonics.com), I was able to determine that I had fried the PSU, and so I bought a nice Cooler Master Silent Series 850 watt. I do not think I need so much wattage but it was the additional words "Ultra Quiet Fan," that cinched the deal. BTW, if anyone is interested, this PSU is indeed a very quiet PSU, though I have not run it through any challenging tests because my system is still down. I purchased at Amazon which had the best price.

After installation, the PSU started up fine and so did the fans on the motherboard and that includes the CPU fan; however, I could not get the system to POST--bring up the operating system in anyway. I was told that it is unlikely that my egregious power mistake would have affected the contents on the hard drive, and so I am holding on to that hope, so it had to be something else.

I was told that even with fans running on the MB, it did not necessarily mean that the MB had not sustain some damage. But it sounded like my CPU might be burnt out I was informed. I say "informed" because dealing with a partially or maybe entirely fried computer is not something I have dealt with before...I am definitely a newbie.

So I went to Tiger Diret, New Egg, and Amazon, which, to my surprise, offered a considerable range of computer components for upgrading your computer or building an entirely new one, and there prices are just as competitive in most instances as the other vendors mentioned. So in the future, consider it as an option when looking for components.

Finally, the question: I need to purchase a CPU for a 775 socket MB.

In my search for a replacement, I found the exact CPU that currently resides in my MB. As this CPU performed admirably for me, though NOT as fast as I would have liked, it is naturally a possible choice for purchase.

This CPU is: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual-Core 3.0GHz 4M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Processor.
Price $123.00 [Third-Party Company through Amazon]

The other CPU is: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Desktop Processor.
Price $167.00. [Same Third-Party Company through Amazon]

There is a $44.00 difference between the two CPUs, not too much, assuming my myriad problems of fried components ends with a new CPU.

I have always been curious about a Quad core CPUs, but I remain ignorant as to how the differences in GHz's effects performance and other areas. I am not sure if comparing the two CPUs is like using apples and oranges in an attempt to make a point. I hope not.

So there is the dual-core CPU running at 3.0GHz 4M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Desktop Processor, and then there is the Quad Q8200 2.33GHz 4M L2 Cache 1333MHz FSB LGA775 Desktop Processor. As one can see the CPUs are exactly the same with 4M L2 cache and FSB capability at 1333MHz. The difference is one CPU has two cores at 3.00Ghz and the other CPU has four cores but runs slower at 2.33GHz.

If my goal is to maximize efficiency, handle multi-tasking on my computer, such as having multiple programs up at once and being able to easily switch between them, and reasonable good speed—the faster the better, which processor would provide perform the best? If it is the Quad core CPU that does better in the aforementioned categories, is it enough to justify an additional $44.00? And if so, could someone explain why the Quad core with four individual cores (right?) but at a slower MHz would exceed a Dual core that runs considerably faster at 3.0GHz.

Your feedback is appreciated. Also, if someone thinks that I should consider another CPU, then, by all means, include it and tell me why you think it is a preferable choice.

Thanks for taking the time to read. I look forward to your feedback.

Sky
captainsky is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

I probably wouldn't buy a LGA 775 CPU for a dubious motherboard. Typically, if you don't know why you can't post (and you don't get a series of beeps off the motherboard), you have to start moving parts one at a time from a non-working system to a working system. Via process of elimination, you can figure out the offending part. The only way to tell if it's actually your CPU would be to drop it into another LGA 775 motherboard that's been proven to work and then power it up.

You're much better off buying a new SandyBridge CPU and motherboard since the price/performance you'd get buying an older CPU at that price is awful (and you don't know if you'll need a new motherboard or not).

New Core i3 2120 + Gigabyte Z68 motherboard = $230
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.825254

To answer your question about cores and clockspeeds.

More cores on a CPU means that it can divide the work between the cores instead of having to queue them up. Think of it as having four people working cash registers instead of two. The major caveat with this is that the software needs to be able to work with more than two cores (the majority does not).

Thus the general rule is (all architecture being the same):

Software can use more than two cores efficiently = cores > clockspeed (assuming there's not a huge difference in clockspeeds).

Software cannot use more than two cores efficiently = clockspeed > cores

A more general rule is: microchip architecture > cores (up to 2) > clockspeed > cores.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the RAM?
The computer won't pass POST if RAM fails.

Given that the RAM is okay, I agree with C.W. that new CPU and mobo is a better option than just a CPU, although you might get off cheaper than $230.
You should be able to keep the rest of the hardware.

To guide you right we need to know more about what programs you'll be running, what other hardware (like graphics and/or sound cards(s)) there is.

As for two vs four cores, what C.W. stated holds.
When multitasking with more cores, minor programs will be assigned a core to handle their tasks, while the other cores handle the main effort.
Then there's also the hyperthreading option, where each physical core is handled as if it was two. Often that makes the computing faster, but sometimes (most notably for gaming) it slow things down.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
captainsky

Join Date Feb 2012

Question How Do I Handle an Alienware Area 51 7500 Series Damaged PC?

Hey C.W.

First, let me apologize for the length of time it took to respond to you. It tough right now because with my desktop down and my laptop stolen two weeks ago, I am forced to use an approximately ten year old Dell. It does not even have 2.0 USB or internal wireless capability, and even with high speed internet, the computer works as though I am on dialup. Hell.

Of course if I had access to another LGA775 MB and computer I would have started to swap out components in order to find out which items had been comprised, but I do not have this option. Since I did not have another computer in which to check components, I took the desktop to Best Buy’s Geek Squad with the intention of them running a System Diagnostic for $79.00; however, what I got instead was an explanation on how difficult it was to test a CPU and that the Geek Squad did not carry such expensive equipment. They said they could not even check the RAM or MB. So, maybe, someone can tell me what a System Diagnostics for $79.00 really achieves? It is a rhetorical question. Best Buy, of course, would not consider using another customer’s 775 function MB to test my stuff, which I can understand, though based on the Geek Squad ads I had expected much more knowledge and help in dealing with my problems.

You got me thinking about the my computer starting up again after I replaced the PSU, and I stated that the MB fans came online at startup so I thought that it meant the MB was working, but you mentioned the beeps that MBs makes when booting and I could not remember if I heard them. Yesterday I booted up the system and fans came on but there was not one beep from the MB, so I going to extrapolate from this that the MB is comprised, and, therefore, would need to be replaced. So this changes everything.

Your suggestion about upgrading to an i3 CPU was something that I had already been contemplating for the last few weeks, but not in the problematic desktop computer but in a new build that would feature the Asus P8P67 Deluxe MB and an i5K series CPU with 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and Zalman Ultra Quiet Fan Cooler made for the LGA1155 series. I have used the Zalman fan on my current desktop for years and it has stood the test of time and it is indeed quiet. I had considered liquid cooling, perhaps using the Corsair H80 with a push/pull system as I had read favorable results about this particular unit, though I was hesitant as I had not worked with liquid cooling before, and then I came upon the new Zalman fan that conveniently generates a blue light which is the light color in the Cooler Master 922 Mid Tower computer case Blue model. I am eager to rid myself of the 49 pound Alienware Area 51 7500 series Full Tower computer case that I have had for six years. The case is in excellent condition with special padding on the door panels to reduce noise but I am over the green color and also the weight. It is quiet a task to move it around for repairs lately and even in the past.

So I am kind of in limbo now. I just talked to the claims representative and it could be at least another two weeks before I receive a replacement value check so that I could buy a new laptop and hopefully use excess money to buy the components for the new build. With that said, I do not know how to proceed but to wait for the check and that sucks.

But, let me ask your opinion on the Alienware desktop I possess and want to sell eventually on eBay or I could go via Craigslist. But how should I handle the situation. Do I just sell the case alone and since I cannot test the components assume that most likely the power overload damaged everything except maybe the video card and trash everything else since I do not see an opportunity in the near future to be able to test the equipment. I will use the new PSU in the new build. Or does it makes more sense to buy components for the Alienware and create a working system that I could sell and that would bring me more money minus the cost of refitting the computer than the case alone? I could buy the components on eBay, I suppose, and that would save me a decent amount, but what CPU would I be hoping to buy…an i5 series? That sounds like I would have to spend quite a bit refitting the computer and installing it, but that should not be too bad if I would have just finished building a new computer from scratch. I am curious as to how I should proceed. Feedback appreciate.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

That's unfortunate that you're laptop was stolen

If your motherboard doesn't have an onboard speaker, it won't be able to beep at you.

Any time you're working with used PC parts, it's a gamble because you don't know the history or if the part will even work. That's why I stay away from used PCs unless they're free or extremely cheap.

I think your best bet would be to go for a new PC. You might want to start a new thread in the Recommendations Forum with a tentative list of stuff you'd want and a budget. Then people can see what you're looking for and give advice about the parts and if better parts exist.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #6
captainsky

Join Date Feb 2012

Question Can someone suggest where I might acquire a male case connector (see images)

C.W.

I concur with your view. I am going to consider the Alienware PC components a total-loss. Ouch! I might hold on to the graphic card and check and see if it works in the new build, and, if so, sell it on eBay. I want the the new build to be just that NEW in every area.

Initially, I will want to test out and see whether or not I can salvage data from my two HDDs, as I am perhaps foolishly optimistic that I will be able to mine data from both of them. If not, I have 95% of the data backed up on external drives. But once I clean them out, if possible, I will probably just trash them, as I want the new internal drives to be the same TB capacity...who knows maybe I will do a RAID configuration?, but more likely I think I will venture into new components like the Solid State Drive (SSD) with no moving parts and super fast speed and something to do with flash, not sure and cannot remember right now. But if it can increase my boot times and other functions I will definitely have to have one. Or there is the option, I noticed the other day, of a hybrid drive. That was actually an option for the Toshiba laptop I was customizing. It is such great fun to totally customize a laptop from fifteen or twenty categories, and make it exactly how you want it. I am amazed how many people are content to stick with what they can pick up at Best Buy, already configured with no room for change except maybe in RAM.

The one thing that I am still wondering is if I can sell the Alienware computer case? It is in extremely good condition with only a few small scratches by the front floor level USB ports but otherwise flawless and, though heavy, it is nice inside with padding on all the panels, etc. I don't think I could bring myself to simply dispose of the case simply because of a faulty case connector that affects the lights only. I need to be able to fix this case connector.

I refuse to believe that this male case connector is so elusive and no one knows where to find another one to buy to replace the broken one! I included a picture of the case connector in the last post but you did NOT comment on it. Like the Geek Squad, are you too unaware or unfamiliar with this type case connector? Not even a suggestion as to whether to post it in another forum category? Or maybe at another site forum? Surely someone can, and will, save me here and provide the knowledge I require.

Maybe you missed the two photos so I am going to include them again in this post. I would be grateful if you, or anyone, could provide direction in solving this problem.

Finally, after I buy a new laptop from the replacement cost money that my renter's insurance policy will provide me, then I will begin to think about the new build in more detail. Actually, I have a very good idea about all of the components already, but as this will be my first build from scratch, I will surely benefit from feedback in the Recommendations Forum. Thank you for suggesting posting the new PC configurations in that area.

Finally, finally, please look at the attached image of the broken male case connector that shows two arrows pointing to the spots where the pins are supposed to be positioned (image 1) and see if anything comes to mind about finding a replacement, maybe a store that would likely carry such a thing? The other photo is the Asus case connectors plug-in module for the MB (image 2), and this is where the broken male case connector for the lights is plugged into ultimately. I am including it as a reference really.

Thanks for any feedback and help!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alienware Broken Case Connector w Arrows [Image 1].jpg
Views:	37
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Asus MB Case Connectors Multi-Unit Plug-in Box [Image 2].jpg
Views:	39
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	298  
Old 03-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

RadioShack might have somebody who could recommend it. I guess the other solution would be to scavenge it off another case.

It would probably be good to save the HDD, graphics card, and any other components you think you might need. I keep spare parts around just in case something breaks down.

You might try and sell the case + other parts on craigslist for a really low price (basically so you don't have to scrap it yourself). Just remember to be honest and explain the situation.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

captainsky,

These connectors are sold at stores that deal electronic components. Online we have Jameco (http://www.jameco.com) and Mouser (http://www.mouser.com). You will need to do a research there to see the exact name they use for these connectors.

I hope I have helped.

Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
captainsky

Join Date Feb 2012

Smile

Thanks guys for your feedback.

With the weight of the Alienware computer case, 49 pounds, I agree that selling it on Craigslist is a more viable option since it will not have to be shipped, which is bound to be pricey and make it more difficult to sell not to mention a major pain in his ass to take to the post office, though, maybe UPS would pay me a personal visit but I'm not going to find out.

Again, thanks also for including electronic sites that might carry this seemingly obscure items. But I will probably try Radio Shack first since it is not too far from my abode.

I think if I get the lights up and running I might be able to sell it for as much as $50.00. I checked eBay and one was being sold there and, if I recall correctly, it was in that range with a few bids. But then I would be back to shipping the beast. The one thing in my favor is I actually I have the original box with padding needed for safe transport. It's been in my storage unit for so long but I had suspected it would be needed one day.

Well, it appears this post had reached its conclusion. Again, thanks to everyone who provided feedback. Take care.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread