Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Antec VP350 Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Antec VP350 Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1500

Here is a snippet:
"The Basiq power supply series from Antec is targeted to users with serious budget restrictions. The new VP350 and VP450 models are the most entry-level power supplies offered by Antec, as they don't h..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

Disappointing, especially that it blew up. Still, I'd choose it ahead of anything from Crappermaster.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
cathode

Join Date Feb 2012
Dallas, Tx
cathode is on a distinguished road

Nice review, still seems like 350w power supply is very little by today standards. I would like to see a review of the corsair GS600W. I just got it and wonder how well it does, for me Corsair and Antec are really good buget power supplies. And then there is Thermaltake. I have seen some 600 W Thermaltake power supplies for $60 and I don't trust them.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 03-02-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Grammar.
cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

You didn't video the explosion?

I never thought Delta knew how to make a PSU that would explode.

I hate how they lie the rectifier down. It doesn't get much airflow that way, which reduces what it can handle.

Personally, I've haven't really liked Antec ever since the SmartPower and early TruePower disaster, where they had 100% failure rates after 3 years.

@Onus, I'd go with a Silent Pro Hybrid or Silent Pro Gold (both are Enhance made IIRC) over this any day.

It also looks like the PWM controller burned out too.

I have also found a mistake. You said that the unit was made by FSP. It's a Delta.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 03-02-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

I know they have a few high-end units, but I would not buy any Crappermaster because of the liar-labels and other dishonesty found right here. This one may have blown up (and there are other reasons I would not buy one), but it did everything it claimed it could do, and then some. So, is it a Delta, or FSP?
The size is good though, especially with the HD7000 series of GPUs, enough power to handle a system able to play any game "well" (meaning with enjoyable settings and FPS).
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

I think the conclusion put too much emphasis on the <5% difference in efficiency. At these power levels that's not a big deal. (And even less compared to the crappy power factor of both PSUs.)

The only issue with the VP350 is the OPP failure.
Voltage levels, noise and ripple is same or better than that of VP350, which got a gold award.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
You didn't video the explosion?
Unfortunately, no, because we didn't know it was going to burn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
I have also found a mistake. You said that the unit was made by FSP. It's a Delta.
Thanks, I will fix this right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I think the conclusion put too much emphasis on the <5% difference in efficiency. At these power levels that's not a big deal. (And even less compared to the crappy power factor of both PSUs.)
Since the 350 W and the 450 W models are in the same price range, you can simply forget the 350 W and buy the 450 W. Take a look at Google Shopping and you will see some stores selling the 350 W model for USD 40, the same price of the 450 W model at Newegg.com...
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Wester547

Join Date Jul 2012
CA.
Wester547 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Wester547

The rectifying bridge for which there is no info does look like an 8A part but judging by the numbering, wouldn't 8A be its max with a heatsink attached (and there was none attached)? Wouldn't that mean that it's closer to being 4A at that point, meaning 4A * 115V = 368W at 80% efficiency? Or something like? Even then, at least that PSU can do 350W continuously (and seeing as that it blew up at 475W, my guess is that its max is somewhere around 400W, albeit at 70+% efficiency or around that).

Last edited by Wester547; 07-14-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Wester547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

No. It's 8A with no heatsink and only convection cooling. Since a PSU has a fan, it will probably handle 10A or so. With a heat sink, maybe 12 or 13A. That's how they get away with using 2A diodes in place of a bridge rectifier, but still have the switchers fail long before the bridge diodes.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Wester547

Join Date Jul 2012
CA.
Wester547 is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Wester547

I found a datasheet for the T8KB chip: http://www.chinaeds.com/d.aspx?id=301224

Not sure if it's exactly the right one but it does say that without a heatsink, 3.2A/25C is its limit rather than 110C/8.0A. However...

If the rest of the cooling compensates for that, other HS PSU reviews always state that without a heatsink (even though it is being cooled by the rest of the components internally) the limit of the rectifying bridge is that of the datasheet (a lot of the Huntkey reviews say 3.2A is the limit rather than 15A with a heatsink, denoting that 294.4W is the limit of the rectifier without burning itself). I know it depends on the rest of the components but by that mindset, the rectifying bridge in those PSUs aren't that limited at all and are not the reason why any of those PSUs blew up at their peak rated load. Then again, it probably doesn't have to do with the rectifying bridge as much as the switching transistors. But because the rectifying bridge in the VP350 is mounted flat to the PCB (thusly hindering airflow), I think 8A-9A would be a more tenable limit for it even with the rest of the component's aid.

Last edited by Wester547; 10-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Wester547 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread