Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Power

Old 03-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
dracos6

Join Date Mar 2012
dracos6 is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Help Needed with FSP 460W PSU

Hello all, i have a very interesting problem. My pc does not consume too much power on idle and load. Specs are like this

phenom x4 840 3.2ghz cpu
gigabyte nforce 720d chipset mobo
2 x 1gb ddr2-800 ram
1tb wd caviar black hdd
sapphire radeon hd6850
fsp 460watt FSP460-62PFB psu

A few days ago, i replaced my old 8800gs for playing a few games. 8800GS was consuming 83Watts on load while HD6850 consumes 130Watts. My problem is, when i was using 8800GS, i was using my other psu which is an asus branded 350W one. After inserting the new gfx, i put my old fsp back in action. When the pc is idle or not using the gpu too much, there's no problem. But when i'm stress testing the gpu with furmark, or playing games like MW3 and BF3, the psu starts to make an electrical crackling noise. This is not continuous, it is also asynchronous and not too loud. When i found out and be sure that it is from the psu, i checked the inside while the sound is occuring, no sparks can be seen. The psu doesn't have a 6 pin pci-x cable, i'm using the one that comes with sapphire cards, which is a single molex to 6 pin pci-x. Can it be the cause of the sound? Will there be any change if i find out a dual molex to 6 pin cable and use it instead of the old one or should i change the psu to get rid of the problem? Thanks for your help
dracos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Seems to be an OEM model PSU, with 32A 12V rating.
Your rig should pull about 250W combined, at full load.

Why not stick to the Asus PSU instead? It's probably better quality and possibly more efficient!

Last edited by Olle P; 03-09-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

The problem might just be the coils buzzing, If so, it's nothing to worry about. I have a Delta made Antec EA-500D which does it, but it works fine. If it annoys you, though, then you could just try it with the other power supply and see what happens.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Why not stick to the Asus PSU instead? It's probably better quality and possibly more efficient!
ASUS power supplies can be low-end:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1035

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ply-Review/853

In fact, I can't understand why high-end motherboard manufactures such as ASUS and MSI sell low-end power supplies.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
dracos6

Join Date Mar 2012
dracos6 is on a distinguished road

well Olle, considering that 6850 consumes 130-140W at full load, i can't trust the asus branded one as the cpu will use 100-110W at full load too, parts does not stick to the tdp values of their labels on load generally

also according to all psu calculators (most trusted ones are extreme and be-quiet's calculators as i know) it consumes more than 320W, so i didn't even think of using it

the sound is just like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqtQI...eature=related

but not continuous like it, just starts when gpu is on load which makes the 12V rail load increase and ends in less than 1 sec, sometimes 2 sec but not too much

and hegge, i also suspect from the coils but do you know if there is a way of being sure about it
dracos6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
ASUS power supplies can be low-end
So are their motherboards. They look great, but they die young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracos6
also according to all psu calculators (most trusted ones are extreme and be-quiet's calculators as i know) it consumes more than 320W, so i didn't even think of using it
Those PSU calculators almost always over-calculate, so that you don't stress your PSU. In reality, you'll probably get away with 350W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracos6
i also suspect from the coils but do you know if there is a way of being sure about it
You have to try to find out where it's coming from. One easy way is by listening around inside it with a straw, although obvioulsy, you'll void the warranty if it's new because you'll have to pop the cover.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracos6 View Post
... parts does not stick to the tdp values of their labels on load generally.
That's true! The TDP is mostly an over-estimate that's rarely reached.

You should check out this article. The LGA1155 test system is fairly close to what you have. (Use 237W at most.)
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread