Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 03-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
maxi157

Join Date Mar 2012
maxi157 is on a distinguished road

Default Chipset dissipator "accident"

Ok, so... I was putting together my computer, according to this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1X2Wpwl4dg
When I got to the motherboard part, I grabbed it by the chipset dissipator, like the guy in the video did. I figured it'd be the best option since it's the easiest place to grab it from without touching any sensitive part. My motherboard is, by the way, this model right here:

Yeah, that thing that says Turbo3D.
Anwyays, when I grabbed it, and when I was just about to put it in the case, it sorta snapped out of place. The plastic things with springs that held the dissipator to the motherboard kept it in place, but the rest of the dissipator seemed to have unglued from the motherboard.
Now, I'm asking if there's a problem with trying to make the computer work like this, or if it was just the dissipator that was unglued and not the chipset. I really don't think it was the chipset, since the other side of the motherboard seemed fine, with all the metal conectors in place around that area. Any advice would be much appretiated, I'm kinda scared.
maxi157 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxi157 View Post
When I got to the motherboard part, I grabbed it by the chipset dissipator, like the guy in the video did. I figured it'd be the best option since it's the easiest place to grab it from without touching any sensitive part.
That is why you can't trust anything that is posted online. Just because it is a video on YouTube, doesn't mean it is accurate. The correct way to manipulate boards is by holding them by their edges, with your palms holding the edges and with your fingers not touching any component, plus you must grounded through a strap connected to the ground on your AC outlet. There are so many curious people out there without the proper training thinking they know stuff that amazes me.

Anyway, now that the damage is done, you can simply put the heatsink back in place. Your motherboard should work fine, but you need to install it back.

I hope I have helped.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Formula350

Join Date May 2011
Tennessee
Formula350 is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like all that happened was the heatsink's thermal interface pad (to transfer the heat from the chip to that heatsink and are stick), as it has happened to me with Gigabyte's boards in the past. Usually it's the Southbridge though since I tend to get the higher end boards and they typically use bolts from the backside.

Anyways, if it came off completely (as in, no longer attached to the board) I still am doubting anything is damaged. The little spring loaded plastic pins are rather straight forward in their operation, so for you to install it wouldn't be hard. If the spring happened to fly off, you could likely find a replacement at a local hobby store (like models and remote-control toys) or the hardware store. Alternatively, if you rather, a clicker-pen's spring will likely supply ample tension and you would just need to cut it down to the right size.

If the heatsink did not come totally off and is still in place, I'm not even sure if the thermal pad will be damaged, given you haven't used the motherboard yet. So if you were to install the board and then gently push on the heatsink, it should be good to go. The pad will soften up once the system is used for a few hours and the springs will level it out anyways, since that's what happens regardless. (If it wasn't for the little foam pads on the bottom of the heatsink and the fact those thermal pads are a pain to get completely removed, using the compound you'll apply to the bottom of the CPU's heatsink would work. MIND YOU I don't even suggest you trying to do that! It's difficult and would most certainly void your warranty!)

I won't deny though, it is disconcerting the first time something like that happens :P Good luck on the build!
Formula350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
maxi157

Join Date Mar 2012
maxi157 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
That is why you can't trust anything that is posted online. Just because it is a video on YouTube, doesn't mean it is accurate. The correct way to manipulate boards is by holding them by their edges, with your palms holding the edges and with your fingers not touching any component, plus you must grounded through a strap connected to the ground on your AC outlet. There are so many curious people out there without the proper training thinking they know stuff that amazes me.

Anyway, now that the damage is done, you can simply put the heatsink back in place. Your motherboard should work fine, but you need to install it back.

I hope I have helped.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Yeah, I'll double-check my sources from now on :P It's good to know nothing major happened to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula350 View Post
Sounds to me like all that happened was the heatsink's thermal interface pad (to transfer the heat from the chip to that heatsink and are stick), as it has happened to me with Gigabyte's boards in the past. Usually it's the Southbridge though since I tend to get the higher end boards and they typically use bolts from the backside.

Anyways, if it came off completely (as in, no longer attached to the board) I still am doubting anything is damaged. The little spring loaded plastic pins are rather straight forward in their operation, so for you to install it wouldn't be hard. If the spring happened to fly off, you could likely find a replacement at a local hobby store (like models and remote-control toys) or the hardware store. Alternatively, if you rather, a clicker-pen's spring will likely supply ample tension and you would just need to cut it down to the right size.

If the heatsink did not come totally off and is still in place, I'm not even sure if the thermal pad will be damaged, given you haven't used the motherboard yet. So if you were to install the board and then gently push on the heatsink, it should be good to go. The pad will soften up once the system is used for a few hours and the springs will level it out anyways, since that's what happens regardless. (If it wasn't for the little foam pads on the bottom of the heatsink and the fact those thermal pads are a pain to get completely removed, using the compound you'll apply to the bottom of the CPU's heatsink would work. MIND YOU I don't even suggest you trying to do that! It's difficult and would most certainly void your warranty!)

I won't deny though, it is disconcerting the first time something like that happens :P Good luck on the build!
It sure was! I was scared as hell haha. Oh, I actually managed to put the computer together by now, it works perfectly. I'm even thinking of overclocking the CPU (it's an AMD Athlon II x4 620 that supports up to 1333 Mhz) so it supports the full speed of my DDR3-1600 ram sticks, but I'm sure that won't make much of a difference anyways.
Ah yeah, read about that compound and it making it impossible to take the heatsink out after it's seated :P Actually, once I pressed the heatsink back to its place, it stayed firmly, so I'm not really worrying. And no, the spring thingies didn't come out, it was just that the heatsink got loose and rocked if you touched it, but it got firm once again after I applied a bit of pressure.

Thanks for all the replies! You saved me from a lot of paranoia haha.

Last edited by maxi157; 03-15-2012 at 06:04 PM.
maxi157 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread