Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Corsair Obsidian 550D Case Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Corsair Obsidian 550D Case Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...se-Review/1508

Here is a snippet:
"The 550D is the latest mid-tower case within Corsair's Obsidian series, with an aluminum front door, eight expansion slots, noise dampening foams, and several other interesting features. Let's check i..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

I just recently used this case to build a new machine for myself.

I noticed that the screws that come with the case aren't particularly high quality. It's probably not something you'd normally notice- but you do have to be careful (if feels stuck, don't tighten it or it'll strip real easy).

The biggest issue with this case is the limitations presented by the HDD bays. When in place, I noticed that the clearance between the HDD and side is too small for a variety of different connectors- including the SATA power cables on my Corsair HX650. The cables tend to bunch up a bit and are fairly stiff, so they stick out. Unless you want to jam the side cover back into the case, you have to leave the back end open. I'm kind of wondering if reversing the HDDs around would solve this problem- but I like the hidden cables!

One major praise is that this case has some pretty good cable management. I've got three HDDs and one SSD currently installed (I'm transfering files from older HDDs for archival/backup) and aside from the clearance issue, somehow I managed to fit all the cables through the slots available. It doesn't look nearly as messy as my older Antec 300 Illusion (but does cost over twice as much).

Sound dampening is definitely noticeable when I drop the foam covers on. However, I've got a sort of odd setup where I'm pushing air in from both sides and exhausting it from the top. CPU idles around 25C and capped out at about 41C while I was playing a CoH 4v4 map (with an H80). I'm sure there's more ideal means to cool the case, but it's kind of fun to experiment.

Overall, it's a very slick case with minimal amounts of screwing/unscrewing to get stuff changed. However, it's probably not that great if you have a bunch of HDDs you want to install.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
I just recently used this case to build a new machine for myself.

The biggest issue with this case is the limitations presented by the HDD bays. When in place, I noticed that the clearance between the HDD and side is too small for a variety of different connectors- including the SATA power cables on my Corsair HX650. The cables tend to bunch up a bit and are fairly stiff, so they stick out. Unless you want to jam the side cover back into the case, you have to leave the back end open. I'm kind of wondering if reversing the HDDs around would solve this problem- but I like the hidden cables!
Glad you decided to post your experience as I was thinking of purchasing this case for my new build this year.

Maybe you could try not pushing in the HD caddy (bay) all the way in, leaving a bit more room for the connector and/or cable??? Or does the caddy lock in place in only one position???

Quote:
Sound dampening is definitely noticeable when I drop the foam covers on. However, I've got a sort of odd setup where I'm pushing air in from both sides and exhausting it from the top. CPU idles around 25C and capped out at about 41C while I was playing a CoH 4v4 map (with an H80). I'm sure there's more ideal means to cool the case, but it's kind of fun to experiment.
From both sides??? I thought the other side panel was solid with no provision for a fan???

I was thinking of using an H100 or H80 and can't make up my mind. Any thoughts???

Quote:
Overall, it's a very slick case with minimal amounts of screwing/unscrewing to get stuff changed. However, it's probably not that great if you have a bunch of HDDs you want to install.
Not happy to hear about this. Seems the most common negative comment is about the front door and that an extra set of hinges are provided, which doesn't inspirer confidence for its longevity.

Now that you mentioned building a new computer I'm curious what parts you used for your new build???
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

It locks in via a thumbscrew, so a trip to the hardware store would probably solve that (you'd get an additional 1/4"~2/3" of space).

I'm still tinkering around with it a bit. Wondering if there's SATA power extension cords so I could just loop individual wires through the back which might solve like 70% of the clutter back there.

By pushing air from both sides, I mean I'm sucking air in via the front of the case and from the back.

H80 seems to work- I'm not really a cooling pro (something I'm trying to learn and understand more). The only issue is that it's a bit noisy (sort of like a fish tank pump with the soft gurgling sound). It seems to be an issue common with H80/H100 (people are RMAing them to trying to get quiet ones, but that's basically like rolling the dice for a loss). If there's other closed liquid cooling systems that don't have this issue (I'm guessing the noise just happens due to the pump- we have similar systems at work that make the same noise). I'd probably suggest if you're planning on OCing or if using something like an Hyper 212 plus at higher fan settings (or if you just don't care about PC noise cause your neighbor's speak system drowns everything out), liquid cooling is good. If you're looking for silence, then find another cooling system.

Front door seems fine. Don't slam it or yank it open. Obvious...I would hope. If you plan on using the CD-ROM, just leave it partially open so you don't stress the hinges by opening/closing it a lot.

new system is just sort of me playing around with new different tech

CPU: Intel 3570K ~ Everyone else is doing it.
Cooler: Corsair H80 ~ wanted to see what it was like
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V ~ probably the most expensive mobo I've bought.

GPU: XFX 7870 DD edition ~ probably most dubious in terms of price/performance. But it does have a lifetime warranty and I think is better constructed than the Sapphire. Or maybe I'm just rationalising an impulse purchase!

RAM: Crucial 4x2gb 1333 DDR3 ~ Cheap, reliable, works.

PSU: Corsair HX650 ~ I've had this for several years. It's served me well.

Case: Corsair 550D

Sound Card: SB Audigy 2 ZS ~ Old PCI card from back in the day...

SSD: Samsung 830 128gb ~ wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I have some WD HDDs as well, but not as exciting.

Audio: Audio-Technica ath-m50 ~ I use headphones all the time. Closed headphones help dampen noise (cats, computer, airplanes, etc). These are quite good for entry level audiophiles.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
Merman

Join Date May 2008

Thanks for your reply C.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
I'm still tinkering around with it a bit. Wondering if there's SATA power extension cords so I could just loop individual wires through the back which might solve like 70% of the clutter back there.
Something like this???
http://www.govgroup.com/link-depot-p...15818-prd1.htm

Not recommending this site. The price was half of Newegg.

Quote:
H80 seems to work- I'm not really a cooling pro (something I'm trying to learn and understand more). The only issue is that it's a bit noisy (sort of like a fish tank pump with the soft gurgling sound). It seems to be an issue common with H80/H100 (people are RMAing them to trying to get quiet ones, but that's basically like rolling the dice for a loss). If there's other closed liquid cooling systems that don't have this issue (I'm guessing the noise just happens due to the pump- we have similar systems at work that make the same noise). I'd probably suggest if you're planning on OCing or if using something like an Hyper 212 plus at higher fan settings (or if you just don't care about PC noise cause your neighbor's speak system drowns everything out), liquid cooling is good. If you're looking for silence, then find another cooling system.
Yes I'm an overclocker but not an extreme one. Though I do have more money for the this latest build than previous ones and I do value good quality.

This build will be my first step into LC and it will be a maunufactured all in one unit. Corsair, Antec or Intel. Antec and Intel use the same manufacturer. Corsair is the moat expensive since the controlling software is a separate purchase.

All these LC units make a lot of noise but as I understand its the fans. There are still some questions I have that probably have answers that I can find. Like if the fans that come with the unit can connect to an Asus MB and use its Fan Expert2 software to controll them or would I need to use different PW fans, which would make the setup much more expensive. ???

Quote:
new system is just sort of me playing around with new different tech

CPU: Intel 3570K ~ Everyone else is doing it.
Cooler: Corsair H80 ~ wanted to see what it was like
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V ~ probably the most expensive mobo I've bought.

GPU: XFX 7870 DD edition ~ probably most dubious in terms of price/performance. But it does have a lifetime warranty and I think is better constructed than the Sapphire. Or maybe I'm just rationalising an impulse purchase!
Nice choices and just what I would expect of you from your advice to others. Good quality parts at a sensible price for performance. Except that XFX card that seems expensive to me as I am not a gamer. Probably just have to get use to the prices as I did for the new prices of MBs. Current prices of MB came as a shock but now I got use to them.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Yeah I felt that the XFX part was probably the worst in terms of price/performance (outside of the 3580K price vs 2500K if we want to get technical). The main reason being: a 7950 would be easily $10-$20 more and in theory could OC for better performance. However, the XFX looked better with the case (sounds terrible, but my theme for this build was style and functionality) than the Sapphire (metallic casing vs plastic) and I got a better warranty. Sadly, I still can't justify it, but then again I'll have another three years to ponder my mistakes and get it 'right' next time.

I've made some pretty horrible blunders- first PC I bought had WinME + Celeron + 8gb HDD. Thing BSOD'd about 30 mins after I booted it up the first time. After I started reading HardwareSecrets (in early 2006?) things got better.

Thanks for the info about the SATA power extension cords. I think it'll work.

Last edited by C.W.; 05-06-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Merman

Join Date May 2008

For anyone interested in this case there is some nice info here:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages..._review,8.html
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread