Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Memory

Old 03-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
AnArgus

Join Date Mar 2012
AnArgus is on a distinguished road

Default Confused re RAM slots

Hello am new here and have a perhaps dumb query.

Have been rejuvenating some IBM M51 machines (they are old school machines I am doing for nothing for the local primary school)and they have four slots ie two black and two yellow paired - not staggered. Now the original RAM installer / builder installed one stick of 256MB RAM in the first black slot and the second stick in the first yellow spot.

I have done a lot of Googling around even getting the maintenance manual up but cannot make out whether this original installer did it right in the first place.

I have tried the original config and then both sticks in the two black ones and the boot time were really quite different. Original setup - 4.75 mins and my setup 3.5mins. However I did read in this site that some old boards do stagger the sticks in paired (same / different colour slots) and I am not savvy enough to know if I am doing the right thing by using the sticks in the same coloured slots - the black ones nearest the CPU and that correspond to the DIMM numbers? - any advice please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICCIE2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	299  

Last edited by AnArgus; 03-15-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Spelling and addition
AnArgus is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hello AnArgus and welcome to our forums.

We have a tutorial that explains this question in detail, please take a look here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...hitectures/133

Let us know if you still have questions after reading it.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
AnArgus

Join Date Mar 2012
AnArgus is on a distinguished road

Thanks Gabriel I have already been through that tut and my it was the mention on page five that had me a bit flummoxed as it stated that some older mobos did use the RAM sticks in the first slot in different coloured slot pairs. IE one in a black pair slot 1 and one in a yellow pair slot 1.

I have since tried the sticks in both the black slots (nearest the CPU) and have got the boot down from 4.75 mins to a shade over 2 mins - with a bit of tinkering with the start up items, some serious defragging / cleaning of temp files and a chkdsk etc

Why the original "builder" had them in the slots that they were in is a complete mystery. Strange because it would have been a large gov contract and the source of a considerable profit to his company.

The principle at the school (my sons old primary) had been tearing his hair out trying to get the gov techs to come and sort the machines out - thats when I offered to do them for nothing except a few dollars for the thermal paste etc. So alls well that ends well eh?

Oh and like the site some top stuff in here as I am reasonably new to doing this sort of stuff - needed something to do with retirement looming (woo hoo)and different from 40 years of Registered Nurse work
AnArgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I am glad that you were able to fix the issue and improve the performance of an older warrior!

You wouldn't believe the kind of things people tell us that "professional" system integrators do!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread