Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Other > Other Issues

Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
johnmcc123

Join Date Feb 2012
johnmcc123 is on a distinguished road

Default New build, operating system isn't loading

I am building a new PC and I have run into a problem. I'm not sure where to post this so I hope I have found the correct forum.

My machine specs:

2 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Intel Core i5-2500K
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC SSD
2 Samsung 250G Hard disc drives
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W
Antec Three Hundred Two Computer Case
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

Steps I have completed:

1. Installed the Seasonic PS, cd drive, and blu ray drive, into the case.
2. Installed the Mushkin SSD into the case.
3. I added the processor, ram, and cpu cooler to the motherboard.

4. I installed the motherboard into the case and connected the sata cables to the SSD, cd and blu ray drives, connected the USB, switches, and other cables from the case to the motherboard, I also connected the power cables from the power supply.

5. I put the Win 7 cd into the cd drive and booted the pc.
6. I successfully installed win 7. I put the pc on my home network and
upgraded to IE 9, added Google Chrome, and the pc did some Microsoft os updates.

At this point the pc boots and everything seems to work correctly.

7. Then I installed 2 HDD drives. 1 hdd drive had Windows installed on it from its previous machine. The other just had files on it.

8. After connecting the drives I booted the pc.

Thats when the trouble started. For some reason the pc will start to boot but when it gets to the MS boot screen it freezes.

First thing I did was check the bios. The hard drives are listed in the BIOS and shown to be installed. I set the SSD as my primary boot device and made sure the HDD drives were not listed as boot devices but the machine still freezes.

Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I'd greatly appreciate any help! I'm stuck here... My system doesn't seem to like my hard drives....
johnmcc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I'd remove the additional components you added after the operating system was loading correctly to see if they are the curlpit first. Also check memory configuration on the motherboard setup.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
johnmcc123

Join Date Feb 2012
johnmcc123 is on a distinguished road

Default problem

I removed the hard drives that I added and the system booted correctly. I re-added one of the drives and when I booted it took the system a few minutes but it did boot. The os then reported that I needed to format the drive. I hit cancel so the drive wouldn't get formatted. The os then displayed the drive in the computer icon. I am now able to access the drive and the pc reboots perfectly.

I re-added the second hard drive. The pc re-booted slowly but it came up. I can't see the second drive in the os. I re-booted again and I still don't see the second drive in the bios or the os. I plugged this drive into a SATA 6 port and it is a SATA 3 drive. Could that be the problem? Is SATA 6 backwards compatible with older drives?
johnmcc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
wtouristo

Join Date Jan 2011
wtouristo is on a distinguished road

Yes SATA 6 ports are backwards compatible with SATA 3.
I would try both HDD on SATA 3. might help?
wtouristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

You may be installing the additional HDD on a SATA port controlled by an additional chip. I'd move the problematic drive to a different port (SATA-300), which is controlled by the chipset. This should solve your issue.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread