Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > CPUs

Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
maxi157

Join Date Mar 2012
maxi157 is on a distinguished road

Default CPU temp or core temp?

First of all, thanks for answering my previous threads on other subjects, the info given was really useful and I managed to get my PC built without any problem Now, I have a question that I though would've been asked here before. However, I searched the forums and didn't find a thread about it.
Anyways, I have an Athlon II x4 620. My CPU temp readings are always higher than my core ones.

Er, "núcleo" is "core". It's in spanish haha. Anyways, I read in many places that CPU temp is always supposed to be lower than core ones. I did run into threads of other forums where people said they were in the same weird situation in which I was, though. However, none of them got to any decisive conclusion about it.
My question is: which temp reading should I pay attention to (CPU temp or core temps) when making sure the temp doesn't reach the max value specificed by my manufacturer?
AMD site says my max temp should be 71c

But I don't know if it refers to core or CPU. I read that the "CPU temp" value was supposed to be the temp of the socket below the CPU, and the ones that really mattered were the core ones. Also read that the core temps were lower because they were closer to the cooler, but I want to make sure that info is correct.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA880GM-USB3L and I have the AMD stock cooler that came with the CPU if that helps.
Any help is greatly appretiated!
maxi157 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
maxi157

Join Date Mar 2012
maxi157 is on a distinguished road

Nevermind, found the answer, straight from AMD.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1128821/a...tion-and-guide

http://www.overclock.net/t/1095360/s...your-processor

It seems that, although CPU temp is a value to watch out for, it doesn't matter as much as core temps, specially when overclocking.
maxi157 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread