Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 03-23-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012
DominicCrozet is on a distinguished road

Smile Novice Pc builder - video editing

I have read a few things online about building a PC for video editing purposes and this is all that I know:
  • Good CPU's seems to be Intel Core i7. I may need one with a speed of 3.0 Ghz. Are there a variety of Core i7s that I may need to consider?
  • The graphic card could be nVidia GTX470/570 as I will be using Adobe Premiere CS5. Would this nVidia work well with Adobe software before CS5?
  • My readings have taken me to a motherboard that would need a good chipset. I dont why, that's what I have been told. Have looked at a Asus Sabertooth Intel X58.
  • Dont know much about the Hard drive(s). The word RAID seems to pop up a few times in my research. I think its something to do with the possibility of having multiple hard drives. I have heard that I may even need to consider the speed of my hard drive. 7200 RPM has been mentioned.
  • RAM has been recommended at 8 GB and in some cases 16 GB. I have heard the term VRAM (Video RAM) - Whats the difference between normal RAM and VRAM and is this is consideration for me?
  • As for the rest of the components I have no idea as yet???
  • Final question. How do i go about finding out if parts are compatible with each other?
If anybody could shed some light on a good route to go down that would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dominic
DominicCrozet is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Yes, you should go with a Core i7.

The motherboard and chipset will depend on the CPU you will pick. X58 is outdated right now.

You should probably pick a Core i7 "Sandy Bridge-E" with X79 chipset motherboard and four 4 GB memory modules for 16 GB under quad-channel configuration. However, we would need to know your budget, so we can give you a more precise recommendation.

VRAM is the "video memory", it is physically located on the graphics card (video card). For video editing you don't need the fastest video card because "fastest" is related to games, which you won't be playing. However, recent Adobe products (in particular Photoshop) use the video processor to speed up processing, a technique called GPGPU. You have to check whether the specific version of the software you will be using the most supports or not this technology. If not, you can pick an entry-level video card and save a lot of money.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Thanks Gabriel for all your advice.
I will be certainly be looking into your advice on the motherboard and RAM.
I am looking to spend between 800 to 1000 pounds on my self-build.
I will wait for your response on what I can do for my money.
Cheers again
Dominic
Old 03-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Dominic,

Is there an online store that you would buy these components from? Can you post a link to it, so we can see the prices and make the math and post links? The reason why I ask you this is that we are located in the US, so prices are different from the UK.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Default Some prices for my build

Hi Gabriel,
Sorry for getting back to you so late.
I have been searching for some of the main hardware components for my build. However, havent looked a coolers, casses etc. That will be later. I have found prices from a variety of websites but the main one is Amazon.co.uk.
  • 16GB GeIL DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Enhance Corsa CL9 (9-9-9-28) Quad Channel kit - 83.69
  • Intel Desktop Board DX79SI Extreme Series - motherboard - ATX - LGA2011 Socket - X79 - LGA2011 Socket - Retail
  • Intel Sandybridge i7-2600K Unlocked Core i7 Quad-Core Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Socket 1155)
  • KFA2 nVIDIA GTX 470 EX OC Geforce 1GB Graphics Card

The word capture card does come up regularly. I realise that this is important when capturing video from a camera. Is this hardware included in the graphics card or will I need to buy it seperately?

I have checked the compatibility of the hardware to the motherboard and I 'think' everthing is in order. However the motherboard says it supports NVIDIA SLI? What does that mean? Does it mean that it will support the graphic card I have listed?

I will wait for your response

Many Thanks

Dominic
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

The motherboard you picked is not compatible with the CPU you picked. With this CPU you should select a motherboard based on the Z68 chipset. The X79 chipset is for LGA2011 CPUs, such as the Core i7 3960X: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Core-i...3563330&sr=8-1

However, this CPU would make a hole on your budget. The Core i7-2600 is a nice option for you.

If you are not going to play games, you can save a lot of money by using an entry-level video card. SLI means that you can connect two or more video cards in parallel to increase gaming performance.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Hi Gabriel,
Thanks for the advice again.
I think the 'Core i7-2600' is more in my price range. Would that be compatible with the X79 chipset motherboard that I had picked? Also, how do I go about discovering whether parts are compatible or not? I ask this question because I would like to be able to do this successfully on my own.
Cheers
Dominic
Old 04-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

As I said, the X79 chipset is targeted to LGA2011 CPUs. The CPU you picked is an LGA1055 model. You need to pick a motherboard based on the Z68 chipset or the new Z77.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
DominicCrozet

Join Date Mar 2012

Default Motherboard search

Hi Gabriel,
I 'hope' I have found the right motherboard for my needs. It is the:

ASRock Z77 Extreme6 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) Motherboard. Priced 159.98 .

Link:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/c...7extreme6.html

It says it supports the Core i7. I also hope that it supports the (i7-2600K) that you recommended????

Cheers

Dominic
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Yes, this motherboard is great for what you want. Read our article about this motherboard here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...therboard/1511

PS: It is interesting that you found this motherboard for sale, as it is not for sale yet in the U.S.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread