Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
erlecarey

Join Date Mar 2012
erlecarey is on a distinguished road

Default Memory error when trying to boot from optical drive

I'm not sure if this is a memory issue but the word "memory" is mentioned. When I try to boot up my Optiplex GX270 it won't boot correctly. I am using XP Pro
Diskeeper Service: DKService.exe Application Error
instruction at “0x7855734d”
referenced memory at “0x00000000”
memory could not be “read”
I'm trying to figure out if I need new memory or new hard drive.
I was thinking of switching to Ubuntu if it was my software. I just want to figure if this is a hardware issue. I hope I'm not posting outside your guidelines. Its not intentional. I just need. Help.
erlecarey is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

There's always a ton of different things that it could be during a boot sequence.

First remove any dust from the PC. Even if it isn't the root cause of your problem, you've just eliminated a future problem. Check all your connections. Again, this probably isn't your root cause, but it doesn't hurt.

here's two checks you can perform on your own fairly easily.

OS check/HDD is dead/dying ~ Boot using a boot disk that came with the PC. If you can boot off that, it's possible something got corrupted on Windows. Probably would need to visit a tech to fix. Or try and swap out HDD (this works better on desktops than laptops/netbooks).

Memory check ~ Remove a memory module, try boot. If it works properly, then you have a bad memory module. If there's no change, then return the memory module and remove the other. If there's no change, then try it again with a verified working module. If that fails, then it's possibly something else.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread