Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
maudia

Join Date Mar 2012
maudia is on a distinguished road

Default Building a PC with 10 HDs - non-gaming

I would like to buil a PC with 10 3,5 HDs of 2 Tb each - just with movies and series - not for game (at all).

My present PC:
AMD Phenom X4 (which I would like to preserve)
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H which is old but suitable for me as it has a ATI Radeon HD 3200 on board with HDMI and SPDIF and I am able to play any video I have at the moment - but I could buy another one if neccessary

I would like to buy a case with 10 HD trays like the Aerocool Strike X ST Devil or even better the Thelmake Chase MK-I with 6 trays but I could adapt the 5,25 trays to 3,5. The Thelmake Chase is better because it has also a Hotswap tray on top.

The Power Suplier I intend to buy is a Corsair Gold AX750 which has 12 Sata connectors.

I do not intend to use RAID.

MY DOUBT:
My motherboard has 5 sata connectors. The new ones have 6 SATAS. How can I connect 10 HDs at the same time (11 HDs considering the hot-swap - this one I imagine could be connect using the esata connector perhaps?) ???
I think I have to buy a controller PCI card with 4 SATAs or more - is this correct ? I will have the same performance with any card ? Which one I should buy ? After install the controller the OS will recognize the 10 HDs "normally" ?

Any suggestions about the system above is also welcome

Thanks in advance.
maudia is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

maudia,

Welcome to our forums.

You will have to either buy a motherboard with 10 SATA ports (very high-end and expensive) or buy an expansion card with more SATA ports. Take a look at http://www.highpoint-tech.com.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
maudia

Join Date Mar 2012
maudia is on a distinguished road

Thanks - I am considering a Amd Fusion A8-3870k + 8gb 1600mhz + Asus Fm1 F1a75-v Pro with a ROCKETRAID640 SATA3 6GBs 4. The expansion card must be a PCI Express 2.0 card to support 4 SATAs. And the new motherboard has already 6 SATA plus a e-sata 6.0 compatible with the hotswap 3.5 tray of the cases I listed (the one I have has only 5 SATA and no 6.0 e-satas). This is what I learned since yesterday. are there other thing should I be alerted ?
maudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I think you will be fine! I'd only suggest a different power supply, 750 W is overkill, but I understand that you need the extra SATA connectors.

Try this calculator to see: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread