Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 03-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Bernbob

Join Date Mar 2012
Bernbob is on a distinguished road

Default Gaming PC build suggestions

I am a 62yo gamer who wants to build his first gaming pc from scratch. I have a budget of $1700-$1800. I am very hardware illiterate, and hate to research anything. I play FSX mostly, and throw in some Call of Duty and other games as well. I would love for this computer to last me 4-5 years into the future and play most games that might come up,within reason. I would like to use my new HD 1080i tv as a monitor, and have a microsoft wired keyboard and wireless mouse that are both about 4 years old. I understand that FSX is very CPU hungry, and that NVIDIA cards work best with the game. Reading other sites, I understand that there is some new hardware coming out that might be worth holding off on a build for right now. Questions: Do I hold off on the build and wait for the new hardware? Should I replace my keyboard and mouse? Will my TV suffice for a monitor? And will anyone be kind enough to recommend compatible hardware for my new computer? Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The $1700-$1800 would be for the computer build alone, all perifials would come from other money's.
Bernbob is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I often play FSX myself (I'm guessing you mean Flight Simulator X). One thing I've learned it that it needs tons of CPU power, but doesn't require a lot of graphics power, so I'd go with a mid-range graphics card like a GTX550 or 550 Ti as opposed to a 570 or 580, and what you save there, spend on a more powerful CPU, like a Core i7.

I'd probably go with something like a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P motherboard (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3979#ov)

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is online now   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread