Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Video Card Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Video Card Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...rd-Review/1523

Here is a snippet:
"The GeForce GTX 680 is the latest and greatest graphics processor from NVIDIA, using a new architecture called "Kepler," a new manufacturing process (28 nm), a dynamic overclocking technology, and sup..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
actionjksn

Join Date Dec 2009
actionjksn is on a distinguished road

Have you noticed Nvidia gave up a lot of compute power for all the extra gaming graphics rendering and power reduction? Surely they will have to make some changes to the Tesla version of this chip. Because it looks like the GTX580 spanks it in GPGPU. I have also seen this in other benchmarks too. It's good for gamers but bad for people who buy the less expensive Geforce cards for compute work. It could force some people to have to buy the much more expensive Tesla cards. If they even add the Fermi like compute ability's to the them.
actionjksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

I think you got your percentages swapped on FarCry 2. Also in the BF3 section, you mention running it at 2560x1536, but in the chart it's 1600p.

The 680 is supposedly built along the lines of the 460 series. It's 'tweaked' for gamers in mind, not people who want to use it for compute. It gives up compute power for gaming power. The possible GK110 might be similar to the previous x80 series in regards to compute power- but I haven't heard much on it.

The real trick is finding it in the wild...
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjksn View Post
Because it looks like the GTX580 spanks it in GPGPU.
Actually, the GTX 580 got spanked. The GTX 680 was 31% faster than the GTX 580 for GPGPU:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1523/13

Maybe you got confused because the results are in seconds, and the lower, the better.

BTW, I noticed a mistake, we forgot to add the Core i7-3960X results to the table and graph, I am fixing this right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.W. View Post
I think you got your percentages swapped on FarCry 2.
I double-checked and they seem to be right, please let me know what is your concern.

Quote:
Also in the BF3 section, you mention running it at 2560x1536, but in the chart it's 1600p.
Error fixed, thanks!

Gabriel.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 04-06-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
cathode

Join Date Feb 2012
Dallas, Tx
cathode is on a distinguished road

I'm not that impress with it's performance. Very similar to the radeon 7970 in terms of performance.
cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
I double-checked and they seem to be right, please let me know what is your concern.
yeah I double checked again and you're right. I probably confused one for the other.

If I remember, the 680 has a video encoding accelerator somewhat akin to Intel's Quick Sync. It's called NVEC. (link)

While the 680 does have some strong points with GPGPU, it's a broad category and does lag behind on some things (google 680 and LuxMark).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathode
I'm not that impress with it's performance. Very similar to the radeon 7970 in terms of performance.
It's better performance-wise than the 7970 (at stock freq) and costs less. I think the price point is what makes it impressive. If it was at or slightly more than the 7970 (~$550) then it wouldn't be nearly as impressive. I tend to think price actually carries more weight these days as price doesn't have diminishing returns. High end stuff like Extreme Edition processors and 6990 GPUs tend to be interesting to read, but it's not going to influence my next purchase (unless I win the lottery) because it's simply outside my budget.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
Jodiuh

Join Date Feb 2011
Jodiuh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually, the GTX 580 got spanked.
How low our expectations have become. I returned the 680 and went right back to my 580. Remember when the new card was almost 100% faster than the old card? this 20~30% nonsense can get bent.
Jodiuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
If I remember, the 680 has a video encoding accelerator somewhat akin to Intel's Quick Sync. It's called NVEC. (link)
Keep in mind that we are still being boycotted by NVIDIA, and I wasn't invited for their technical presentation on the GTX 680. So, my technical knowledge on the GTX 680 is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodiuh View Post
How low our expectations have become. I returned the 680 and went right back to my 580. Remember when the new card was almost 100% faster than the old card? this 20~30% nonsense can get bent.
You are absolutely right.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Quote:
Keep in mind that we are still being boycotted by NVIDIA, and I wasn't invited for their technical presentation on the GTX 680. So, my technical knowledge on the GTX 680 is limited.
Tweaktown basically had this happen to them too. Then released the review early because NVIDIA never gave them an NDA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaktown
Since NVIDIA sent us nothing on the GTX 680 codenamed "Kepler" - no press deck, no whitepaper, no conference call information, no sample, no NDA date - absolutely nothing - we're kind of winging it here. Something we don't really like to do. But when I woke up this morning again with no information from NVIDIA, I was just over it and decided to knock this review over straight away as clearly we weren't going to hear anything from them. How is that for professionalism?
In 'sanctioned' reviews, the reviewer emphasized lower 1080p and/or 1050 and how the 680 absolutely crushes the competition at these resolutions. They also might use only FXAA instead of MSAA which the 680 excels at (and doesn't do so well with MSAA). So a typical review of the 680 vs 7970 would have the 680 crushing the 7970 in two charts (1050, 1080/1200, and 1600) and then only slightly winning in the third (1600p).

While it's all interesting, I don't think the 680 is supposed to cater to the 'average gamer' and thus the benchmarks @ 1050p don't hold any weight. I should be able to buy a mid-level GPU to run games at mid-level resolutions, not top tier GPUs to run games at 1080p. Top tier GPUs are for enthusiasts who want to run everything 'maxed out' on their 30" monitors or 3 way monitor setups.

While I think the 680 is a good top tier card, I have deep reservations about recommending anything NVIDIA simply because they blacklist honest review sites like Hardware Secrets.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

C.W., thanks for this information, it makes one wonder why this is happening with traditional websites like us. TweakTown, as Hardware Secrets, are online for over 10 years, and they are big in Australia.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread