Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default ECS Z77H2-AX Motherboard

There has been a new article posted.

Title: ECS Z77H2-AX Motherboard
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...therboard/1522

Here is a snippet:
"ECS is releasing a new motherboard series, "Golden Board," where all metallic parts are golden, including the capacitors and coils. Two models were announced within this series, the Z77H2-AX and the Z..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
bingel

Join Date Apr 2012
bingel is on a distinguished road

- I read the Realtek RTL8111E has always been a capricious controller.
- The audio is not great (even if this is not a problem for me).
- Two PCI slots are too many (but if one will be covered by a dual slot graphic card this won't be a problem).
- Lacks a FireWire connector (this is important).
- Bluetooth is not smart ready (I wonder if you can replace the dongle or if it is welded).
- Lacks a DVI connector (I find this unexplicable).

The very positive note is the 3 PCIE 3.0 connectors:

- max 16x/8x/8x

I did not understand, however, if this configuration is possible either for PCIE 2.0 mode and PCIE3.0 mode or only for PCIE3.0 mode.
Explain to me please because this is very important!!!

Last edited by bingel; 04-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
bingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

It works for both 3.0 and 2.0 modes, just follow the link for the datasheet available in the review to a more in-depth explanation.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
bingel

Join Date Apr 2012

I just read in this article that also the Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe uses a PLX bridge in order to ensure a further 4x slot (but only PCIe2). I would like to Know the precise model of this bridge since the support for the 3rd 16x slot is limited to PCIe2 (not PCIe3).

Maybe I'll go off-topic:

I am not an expert and that I just can not understand is why if a PCH Z77 is capable of supporting up to 8 PCIe2 lanes and the CPU (Ivy) up to 16 PCIe2/3 lanes, the minimum configuration of all the MB is not like this:

- 3 slots 16x PCIe2/3 configured in any of these ways:

* 16x | 0x | 0x
* 8x | 8x | 0x
* 8x | 4x | 4x

- 4 slot 1x PCIe2

...whitout limits?

Why, instead, some MB have PCIe2 1x or 4x connectors shared with other PCIe2 or eSATA or USB3 connectors? I wonder what the reason is since the Z77 chipset should easily supports these features ...and if we consider that at least an additional usb or sata controller is almost always present on the MB.

Is there, by chance, an upper limit of bandwidth?

Last edited by bingel; 04-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

This ASUS motherboard uses a different chip. PLX is the manufacturer of the chip, not its model. The error is on the review you linked to, where the reviewer doesn't seem to know that. (He only mentions "PLX chip," which is an incomplete information.)

The ECS Z77H2-AX motherboard uses a PEX8747:

http://www.plxtech.com/download/file/1824

The ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe uses a PEX8608:

http://www.plxtech.com/download/file/576

Read at least the diagrams available on these two files to understand the differences between them. These chips have very different usages. The PEX8747 is used exclusively on the PCI Express x16 lanes, for video cards. The PEX8608 is an older chip, it is PCI Express 2.0, and serves to switch x1 lanes for the motherboard to support more PCI Express devices than it would originally support due to the low number of PCI Express x1 2.0 lanes provided by the chipset.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 04-09-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
bingel

Join Date Apr 2012

Meanwhile, thanks for the clarification. Secondly, congratulations for the article. I like the precise pattern of your reviews and, above all, your comparative tables, located in the first page, between the various mainboards of the same brand.

That said:

- I figured it was another chip (but also the magazine that I mentioned, I suppose).

- However what I do not understand is why Asus uses an extra chip when the PCH Z77 is already able to provide, by itself, 8 PCIe2 lanes which are sufficient for 4 slots @1x + 1 slot @4x?
I wonder with what other connectors, PCIe shares the bandwidth?

- Finally, I do not understand why, if the bridge PLX PEX8747 supports up to 48 lanes, the ECS mainboard does not allow the configuration: 16x/16x/16x. These are commercial reasons?

Sorry if the questions may seem trivial but, as I said, I'm not an expert ...and excuse me for my poor English.

Last edited by bingel; 04-08-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingel View Post
However what I do not understand is why Asus uses an extra chip when the PCH Z77 is already able to provide, by itself, 8 PCIe2 lanes which are sufficient for 4 slots @1x + 1 slot @4x?
I wonder with what other connectors, PCIe shares the bandwidth?
It is simply not enough, because you are not taking into account that all on-board devices such as the networking chip, extra USB 3.0 controllers, and extra SATA-600 controllers are connected to the chipset through PCI Express x1 lanes. You are thinking only in terms of expansion slots, but there are more devices on the motherboard that need to be connected to the chipset, and they use PCI Express 2.0 x1 lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingel View Post
Finally, I do not understand why, if the bridge PLX PEX8747 supports up to 48 lanes, the ECS mainboard does not allow the configuration: 16x/16x/16x. These are commercial reasons?
I don't know the exact reason. But you have to remember that the chip is connected to the CPU through a x16 datapath. I believe that the configuration used by the PLX PEX 8747 is x16/x8/x8 to take into account that it won't be able to transfer data to the three video cards at the exact same time.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Moogle Stiltzkin

Join Date May 2012
Moogle Stiltzkin is on a distinguished road

Torres i would like your comment regarding the comparison between the ASUS P8Z77 V DELUXE and Premium, especially in regards to the PLX chip.

From bingel's comment, did he mean that the ASUS P8Z77 V Premium had both the PEX 8747 and PEX 8608 chips ? Can you please kindly confirm please.
Moogle Stiltzkin is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread