Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Power

Old 04-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
eolianu

Join Date Jan 2012
eolianu is on a distinguished road

Question Power Supply dilemma

Hy! Unforcenetly i bought a Corsair CX500W but didn't know it had coil whine and after 4 months it gave a beeping sound that was very annoing.I was very dissapointed because i considered Corsair a top firm.It was in warranty so they changed it with a new one but i think in another 4 -5 months it will do the same.So i want to change it with a Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W.I've read the review about it from this site and looked very ok , but i need to know for sure if someone can tell me , if it has coil noise / coil whine or other problems.I presume that the components are top quality unlike Corsair.Please tell me if this is a good choice. To mention i have this rig :

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Ghz ; ATI Radeon HD 6850 1 gb ram ddr 5 256 bits; 4 gb ram kingston 1600 mhz ddr 3 ; AsRock M3N78D ; HDD Seagate Baraccuda.
eolianu is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

As much as I know, coil noise is fairly random. It affects many PC components due to the electrical nature of the parts (you can find in PSUs, GPUs, mobos, etc.) I think every coil has some level of noise (not always audible). There's a wide variety of variables that affect it. You might get two PSUs that are exactly alike and have one with coil noise and the other without.

So to answer your question, it's impossible to know without trying it out.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I'd say just see how your new CX500 goes. As C.W. said, it's not necsarilly a design flaw, so your new one might be fine.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
eolianu

Join Date Jan 2012

I've seen many people that report this problem for Corsair , and to be exact only the models that have CWT parts have this problem , the other few models that have Seasonic parts are ok no problem at all.So i am not the single one with a Corsair Cx500 having this issue , there are dozens , clearely this is how they are built.To be honest , i never heard a Seasonic to have this issue , mainly because the parts have a much better quality.This coil whine issue appears when the +5Vsb isn't protected , and loss of electricity appears.This means only one thing - poor quality parts.This is the info i gathered.The sad thing is that when i bought the Cx500 i didn' knew theese things.

@ c.hegge - the day i brought the new one home and connected it (without turning on the pc), i've put my ear on the power supply's back grid and i've heard an almost subtle noise like a distorsion from a speaker , that can be heard only like that.My concern is that this noise will amplify in the next few months because of the usage of that part and finally that haunting stressfull beep will appear.

Last edited by eolianu; 04-09-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

It's possible CWT OEM units get returned for coil noise more than Seasonic, but those stats are usually confidential and known only to the company (I'd be really surprised if Corsair released this data).

I've seen several posts on Corsair forums about the AX850 having coil noise- a Seasonic build. My HX650 (a Seasonic PSU) makes a slight whine as well (I wear earphones and ignore it unless I'm reading threads about coil noise). In fact, I bet if you google any PSU + coil noise, you'll get a hit (except for the really bad ones, cause the owners are trying to figure out why their PC is on fire).

It's like DOAs, it happens.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

The AX1200 also gets it, and that one is made by Flextronics

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
eolianu

Join Date Jan 2012

Sad thing....i had on the old rigs several Deluxe power supplyes ( junk power supply) and i hadn't any problems with those no buzzing , no coil nothing at all.I can't explain why with quality power supplies and consecrated firms like Seasonic , Corsair , OCZ etc appear these problems and with no name firms ...they just work fine.Anyway...my bad luck...hope i don't have to return it every 5 months because of coil whine.Thanks a lot for the info! Best wishes!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Actually, it was a similar story with Antec a few years ago. The SmartPower and early TruePower PSUs all used low quality capacitors, and had 100% failure rates after 3 years. Yet, most cheap $20 and $30 power supplies were outlasting them!!

read post 19 at http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8807 !!

new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread